PDA

View Full Version : Shank size help?

shoalwater
02-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Does Savage usually build there 300 Win Mags on small or large shank barrels/actions? I am thinking about building a ELR 300 Win Mag with 27" or 28" tube plus 3 port muscle break, after I get done with my Creedmoor build. If I have done my research correctly I should be able to push some high BC 210gr bullets around 2900fps and not be subsonic until out past a mile. My goal for this gun would be to get out to a mile on gongs or whatever I could shoot at.
I know I could just go with a 338 Edge, but I want to be able to run CDI bottom metal with AICS mags. I believe the AICS long mags will hold a 3.6" round max. That leaves me room to work with the 300 Mag as far as seating depth, where as the 338 Edge, 3.6" is the starting depth for seating. As always thanks for the help.

stangfish
02-23-2013, 07:19 PM
As for shank size you have a 1.055 or 1 1/16-20 thread which is the small diameter barrel.

Just for my own edification. Do you have a shallow water boat by any chance? Do you like to catch reds and trout?

shoalwater
02-23-2013, 10:16 PM
I did have a shallow water boat, I actually sold it last weekend. I love to chase reds in the skinny water, all artificial, and all sight casting. I've had it out 3 times in the last 3 years, between my two boys 2 and 4, and a demanding job not much time for fishing these days. I also sold my cabin down on the land cut as well, that was a sad sad day. I used to go 2 to 3 times a month before the boys were born. I'll buy another as the boys get a little older and more interested in fishing.

I know savage has the 1.055 small shank, but they also have the 1.120 large shank as well. I know the built the WSM's and RUM's on the large shank, but was also wondering if the built the Win Mags on the large shank as well.

bootsmcguire
02-23-2013, 11:08 PM
not normally

geargrinder
02-24-2013, 12:42 AM
If you aren't set on CDI, Accurate Mag makes a CIP length DBM that fits the standard factory long action inlet.

It would make the argument for the 338 Edge much easier with a 3.8" magazine.

efm77
02-24-2013, 09:07 AM
I think the only large shank 300 win mag that Savage has made has been the 110 BA. The rest should be small shank.

shoalwater
02-24-2013, 02:01 PM
@geargrinder if I remember right I believe the Accurate Mag system only works with the accustock gun, but I could be wrong. I guess you could have whatever stock you want to use inlet for it though?

shoalwater
02-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I was searching Google and came across another forum talking about a 338 Sin. I read through all 29 pages of post and this sounds like exactly what I would really want. Is this guy still building these barrels, dies, and brass? I can't really find any newer info than about beginning of 2012.

geargrinder
02-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Accustock uses the same inlet as factory centerfeed dbm. I just has to be with the side bolt release. It won't work with the new bottom release.

338 Sin is very similar to a 30-375Ruger. Just a small bit fatter since it is based on the Rum case.

I haven't heard much from Devin. He got his FFL, got buried in gun work, and we haven't heard from him in a while.