PDA

View Full Version : First Bolt Action Build

JRSerm
02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
This all arrived yesterday from Jim at NSS. Shilen 26" Select match in .308, centerfeed action. I have 2 other rifles with accutriggers so I thought I would try something new with this one. The plan is to build a long range rifle for target shooting and possibly the occasional F class match. I have a 7mm Long Range Hunter that is shooting very well with 180gr Bergers but I want to save that more for hunting purposes.

I am trying to decide on a stock now and I'm also debating a DBM set up. At first I thought I would do it sometime in the future and try to keep the cost down right now but that all seems to be going out the window fast! I planned taking my time, possibly picking up a used gun and then parts here and there but Jim had it all so the CC came out faster than expected. I really like the Manners T4A stock but don't think I can wait. I am excited as this is the first time building a bolt gun. This is also my first try at posting a picture, followed the tutorial so hope it works.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b614/JSerm/Savagebuild1_zpsa2a6aef5.jpg

JRSerm
03-04-2013, 12:19 AM
I now have added the choate tactical stock and cheek riser. Seekins 20 moa base. The rifle basix trigger is at 2 lbs. That is my first experience with installing a trigger and it was very simple to install and adjust. I also found a youtube video that helped. The go, no guages came on friday from Midway. I hope to shoot it this week if the weather here in east ID clears up. I have an order of alumahyde coming from Brownells. This will also be my first attempt at painting a gun so I am excited to try that part as well.
I wanted to put Seekins low rings on the rifle but they are out of stock everywhere and in speaking with their customer service they do not know when they will be making more as of yet. I plan on putting a Vortex PST 6-24x50 on this. Does anyone have an alternate ring they would recommend?

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b614/JSerm/Savage308_zps9496605b.jpg

bootsmcguire
03-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Looks good. Just be careful, building Savages can be very addictive.

03mossy
03-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Looks great! I bet that was exciting opening and waiting for that delivery!

65impala
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Looking good, and very familiar :)

kingzero
03-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Last I checked, Manners had a couple short action Savage stocks already built and ready to ship. Might check it out if you decide to get rid of the Choate stock.

http://mannersstocks.com/stocks-for-sale/

Look at EGW rings. I have a set of their Practical rings waiting to go on a rifle when it's done.

http://egwguns.com/scope-rings/

Burris Extreme Tacticals are good too.

jbjh
03-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Jealous! My donor gun should be at the FFL by now. I guess I should start ordering parts. And do call Manners - they might have something pretty sitting there for you.

jsthntn247
03-06-2013, 02:25 PM
I just bought some low Aadland rings for my 6-24 pst. The triple lugs make them rock solid and customer service is second to none.
http://www.aadmount.com/TLRings/TLRings.html

JRSerm
03-07-2013, 03:35 AM
I took the rifle to the range yesterday morning. 19 degrees with a breeze was not great but I couldn't wait. I rounded up 2 boxes of ammo from a friend who sold his 308, 1 box of federal 168 smk and the other a box of 155gr hornady A-max. Neither shot exceptionally well (just under an inch) but I figured I would be finding my own load that worked for it anyway and the barrel is still new. The powder shortage around here isn't going to help that process though.

Here is something surprising. I stole a vortex viper HS LR off of my 7mm that has medium Seekins bases and put it on this 308 with the Seekins 20moa base. To get it zeroed at 100yds, I had to come up significantly. I only have 24 min left of upward elevation in the scope, so with out the base I would only have 4 more min. That doesn't seem right. The base is not on backwards, I double checked that. My Savage 7mm has an EGW 20moa base and with that same scope and rings it is almost bottomed out with a 200yd zero. Any ideas, or others who have had a similar problem?

Thanks for the above responses, I will look into the suggestions.

JRSerm
03-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Those Aadland rings look perfect. Web site says they are out of stock unfortunately. I will try and call them in the morning to find some more info. Did you buy them direct from them or from somewhere else? Thanks again.

airdale
03-09-2013, 03:31 PM
JRSerm,

Curious about your stock, Were you pleased with the quality of your stock? I've been considering a Choate custom tactical stock (the fully adjustable one) but have no experience with Choate products. The stock is for a build for my wife and it's minimum LOP would seem to be ideal for her. Any thoughts about the stock will be appreciated.

JRSerm
03-11-2013, 12:02 AM
JRSerm,

Curious about your stock, Were you pleased with the quality of your stock? I've been considering a Choate custom tactical stock (the fully adjustable one) but have no experience with Choate products. The stock is for a build for my wife and it's minimum LOP would seem to be ideal for her. Any thoughts about the stock will be appreciated.

This is my first "aftermarket" stock. I do have some friends with McMillans and Manners stocks and have shot their rifles so I have a little experience with other similar stocks. I would say on a level of 1 to 10 the "finish" of the stock is around a 5 or 6. That is because a few things don't fit exactly perfect such as the back lip of the action near the safety is not flush and the trigger guard rear screw hole does not line up well for example. As far as "features" I would say a 9 or 10 because of the price and the aluminum bedding block and pillars. I have not received my bipod yet but it seems that the sliding rail on the bottom will be a nice feature. I do have big hands and I feel a cramped in the distance from my palm to the trigger. I was suprised by this because I had read reviews that said people with larger hands had liked this stock. Hope this helps.

airdale
03-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Thank you, definately helps in making my decision.

big_bullseye
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
I would suggest checking out Ken Farrell for top quality rings and bases. I have multiple picatinny rails from them and they are top of the line.

http://www.kenfarrell.com/

Also try Richard Near. he is very proud of his stuff but once you get it you'll understand why. I have two of his bases and I was lucky enough to find a set of his 30mm rings used and paid half as much as new. The quality of this product is unbelievable.

http://www.nearmfg.com/index.html

I was wondering if you would share a detailed list of what exactly you ordered from NSS. I want to build my own savage custom rifle and you are building exactly what I would. That would help me a lot in knowing what I need for tools and parts.

stangfish
03-12-2013, 08:25 PM
The back lip is clearanced by design.

smoooth
03-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Nice rifle, mine is very similar, except in 6-284 and a flat top stainless action, working on it at the moment. Jim at NSS sure is a great guy!

Regarding the Choate stock, I too have large hands and was also disappointed in the fit and feel of the grip / trigger guard area, but otherwise am very pleased. Trying to decide if I should cut the grip section back 1/2"-3/4" and rebuild or add material to build out a palm swell. Really hate to have to do this to a brand new stock. Also, being on the taller side, I added an aluminum drop down spacer block and attached the recoil pad to it (lowered by 2.35"), fits like a glove now, looks neat too.