PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a question about a Model 10.....

Todd33
01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Hey guys been lurking around here for a couple of weeks. I've recently gotten in to predator calling & I'm wanting to get a suitable rifle for coyotes. I've found a Savage model 10 Black Syn. Stock/ no scope in 243. at a local dealer for $350 its used but shows zero wear. I know some might say thats a little large for coyotes but my 12yr. old daughter will be deer hunting for the first time this fall & I figure 243. will be a decent multi purpose caliber. My question is do yall think this is a fair price for the gun? He also has a brand new Stevens model 200 in 25-o6 for the same money. From what I've read on here thats too much gun for what I'm wanting & I think a bit high also? Opinions??? Moneys burning a hole in my pocket...:)

Todd33
01-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Guys I just stumbled across the " Help me decide" forum. Feel free to move this, Sorry.

kslefty
01-15-2010, 08:26 PM
If it is an accutrigger model the price is fair but not a great bargain. I would offer $300 cash and plan on going up a tad if he doesn't bite,

Todd33
01-15-2010, 09:27 PM
It is an accutrigger model. So would $300 or less be a "Good" deal? He takes trades also so I may part with something else to come a little less out of pocket. Thanks for any info you guys can give to help me make an informed purchase. Is this model a good platform to build on later? I'm a total newbie on boltguns in General.

lonestardiver
01-15-2010, 10:03 PM
You didn't mention if it was a sporter barrel or not.
Either way I'd start at $275 and work up from there.

I could have sold it for $350 or more 4 times over at thelast gun show I went to.
Everyone had 270's, '06's, and 30 win mags...but everyone else was looking for .243's.

Go Figure...

lwink
01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
243 and 25-06 both great cals, but that is way high on a stevens. I think that if you could get the Model 10 accutrigger for $300 that would be a good deal, assuming it really is in like new condition -- I would check out the bore as good as you can before buying though. I'd even consider going $325 if there are no extra application fees and what not if it is like new... like it was said, that gun will go for $350 almost any day of the week in the right crowd. If it were me and I was looking for a coyote gun and reloaded (or even if I didn't) and had an upcoming hunter 243 would be high on my list, and the model 10 would be right up there next to it (I suppose that's why I'm on this forum though :) )

Todd33
01-15-2010, 10:34 PM
243 and 25-06 both great cals, but that is way high on a stevens. I think that if you could get the Model 10 accutrigger for $300 that would be a good deal, assuming it really is in like new condition -- I would check out the bore as good as you can before buying though. I'd even consider going $325 if there are no extra application fees and what not if it is like new... like it was said, that gun will go for $350 almost any day of the week in the right crowd. If it were me and I was looking for a coyote gun and reloaded (or even if I didn't) and had an upcoming hunter 243 would be high on my list, and the model 10 would be right up there next to it (I suppose that's why I'm on this forum though :) )

Thanks for the info guys. Moneys tight & I didn't want to get burned on an impulse buy. I think I'll go get it in the morning. I'll let yall know how it shoots. ;D

Blue Avenger
01-15-2010, 11:19 PM
don't know why but a used Savage sells for more then a new Stevens even if it is not the accutrigger.
low end scalpers on gunbroker are getting $325 for a Stevens. If you want to support your dealer that is fine, but there are better prices to be had.

Todd33
01-16-2010, 01:45 AM
The guns what I want & I live in a very small town (pop. 1100) so I do like to support the locals. By the time I drove to Tulsa or Okc. where Id have better options I'd have atleast another $50 in gas added on to it. Not to mention what the wife and daughters would spend while we were somewhere close to a mall...:)

psharon97
01-16-2010, 09:15 PM
The guns what I want & I live in a very small town (pop. 1100) so I do like to support the locals. By the time I drove to Tulsa or Okc. where Id have better options I'd have atleast another $50 in gas added on to it. Not to mention what the wife and daughters would spend while we were somewhere close to a mall...:)

never take wife/daughters with you while gun shopping. always take a bunch of other gun guys with you. claim your having a night on the town with the guys haha lol

Todd33
01-16-2010, 10:46 PM
They'd probably want to go to the mall first & after that I'd be so ready to get the hell out of the city I wouldn't even go look at any guns! :) I'd rather shoot off my pinky toe than spend a day in a large city.