PDA

View Full Version : 10 FCP, raising the comb?

Szumi
02-22-2013, 08:55 PM
I bought a 10 FCP in .308 a couple months ago and it felt right w/o a scope on it. Now I have a Vortex Viper PST 4x16 on it and the comb is too low. My medium rings has the scope bell clearing by 1/4" but even if I bought low rings, It still would not be right.

So now I'm looking at raising the comb. This model has the HS Precision stock. What options are out there? I have a bridgeport and some machining skills if that would figure into what you would suggest.

Thanks,

Szumi

missed
02-22-2013, 11:33 PM
I got a piece of kydex and heated it up and shaped it to the stock and set it at the height I needed it and screwed it to the stock. Works like a charm and it cost me like $15 for the kydex and I still have enough for another stock or two.

Txhillbilly
02-22-2013, 11:39 PM
I have 2 Choate Tactical stocks and use the low check riser's on them. You might try fitting one of them on the H&S stock,it would be a cheap fix.

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Choate-Cheek-Piece-Standard.html

LRJammer
02-23-2013, 03:32 AM
I have used a Triad Tactical stock pack. Some carpet jute and duct tape made into a spacer of the apropriate thickness to lift the comb to the desired level. It has to be removed to pull the bolt for cleaning but the pack uses velcro straps so its not really a big hassle. Either that or replace the stock with a Manners MCS-T.

Szumi
02-23-2013, 04:41 AM
I hadn't considered pulling the bolt for cleaning. Thanks for bringing that up. :thumb:

missed
02-23-2013, 10:20 AM
With mine I can pull the bolt still, just clears the bolt by like a 1/4"

bodywerks
02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Karsten makes a cheek rest that's adjustable. I bought one for my HS precision tactical stock. It works fine, but i have decided to go with an integrated cheek piece using kmw loggerhead hardware.

Idaho-45
02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
+ 1 on the Triad Tactical stock pack- cheek rest! I have several. They work well, & are comfortable to use. You can get them with, or, without shell loops. Very well made.

Hooker
02-24-2013, 12:21 AM
I made a Karsten style piece out of .050 aluminum and Velcro on to the stock. I also added 1/8 inch foam that had a self stick backing. I could move to height I wanted and could remove for cleaning. The foam made it comfy for all day shooting. You could also cover with moleskin.

Joe L
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
+ 1 on the Triad Tactical stock pack- cheek rest! I have several. They work well, & are comfortable to use. You can get them with, or, without shell loops. Very well made.

Same here. Good product.

Joe

palerider338
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Just put a Tac-Pro cheek rest ( similar to the Kydex) on my 112 BVSS laminate stock. ( 2 ) 1/4 x 20 carriage bolts w/ knobs. Notched 1/2 inch out of the front of it so I can pull the bolt w/o having to adjust the rest.

Will probably add some Velcro backed padding for additional cushioning later if needed.

Szumi
04-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know how much the loggerhead hardware costs?

palerider338
04-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Does anyone know how much the loggerhead hardware costs?

Here's the link : http://kmwlrs.com/SENTINELstocks.htm Email Terry

Szumi
05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
I found a guy on the net that goes by the handle, stockdoc, I'm sending him my stock in the morning to have the loggerhead kit put in.

I have a few rifles that need attention so I'll live without the rifle for a few weeks. I *wish* I had decided to do this back when is was still winter.

bodywerks
05-01-2013, 08:10 PM
You can't go wrong with stock doc. I believe he's around $150ish including the loggerhead parts. He does very nice work.

Szumi
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
You can't go wrong with stock doc. I believe he's around $150ish including the loggerhead parts. He does very nice work.

He is up to $200 now delivered back to me. I considered reverse engineering the loggerhead system and making one. I have a lathe and mill in the garage. Then I thought how long this would take and how win win it would be for me to put in some OT at work and contract stockdoc instead. The free market has a lot going for it. :)

bodywerks
05-02-2013, 08:05 PM
He is up to $200 now delivered back to me. I considered reverse engineering the loggerhead system and making one. I have a lathe and mill in the garage. Then I thought how long this would take and how win win it would be for me to put in some OT at work and contract stockdoc instead. The free market has a lot going for it. :)

Same here, have both. For $55ish, I'll buy one.
$200 shipped is still a God deal.