PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon Superformance powder(s)

n4ue
02-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Hi. A short time ago, I did a little reading about the Hodgdon Superformance powders. Hornady lists quite a few different calibers of loaded factory ammo with the Superformance label.
Several have questioned how the lone Superformance powder from Hodgdon could be used in such a wide range of calibers.
The recent issue of Shooting Times includes a discussion with Dave Emary of Hodgdon who explains that the powder used in the .17 Hornet is a BLEND of the THREE Superformance powders developed by St. Marks Powder company.

Ah HA!! So, even though there are 3 Superformance powders, there is only one available. Finally makes sense.

ron

wbm
02-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Yeah. Superformance powder is not the same as Superformance ammunition. All their "rocket science" factory stuff is in house canister powders that they blend.

scope eye
02-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Ya Superformance has the same burn rate H4831, not really Ideal for a 17 cal, I have tried it in some mags and stuff, and I don't see any improvement over the tried and trued H4831

Tanks Dean

wbm
02-24-2013, 10:21 AM
don't see any improvement over the tried and trued H4831

Me neither. I shot a jug of Superformance powder in various calibers....didn't find any compelling reason to buy another.

scope eye
02-24-2013, 10:31 AM
What I have not seen in a while even before the crazyness, is H4831ssc stands for super short cut come to think of it, I rarely even see H4831sc or short cut, all I ever see is just the plain H4831,

Dean

wbm
02-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Come to think of it you are right. Just looked at my latest jug of H4831 that I thought was SSC...it ain't. Also have noticed that the old IMR4831 seems to be preferred over H4831EX in quite a few "accuracy loads" that are listed on a variety of reload manuals. I know from experience that this is true in the case of the 7MM Magnum. Guess the old saying "newer does not always mean better" may apply here.