PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 trigger

Pages : 1 [2]

jonbearman
03-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes to lr hammer. To the OP I would do the slam test to make sure it wont just go off by accident,be cautious.

gpb11
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
I used a plastic faced hammer to test the trigger while I was setting it up. I would adjust and then give the end of the action a good rap to make sure that I had good sear engagement. Also, when I had re-installed the action in the stock I bounced the stock down from about a foot high with no trigger release. I also engaged the safety and pulled the trigger with no release and then disengaged the safety with no release. I have cycled and bounced and engaged and disengaged everything several time and have had no unexpected releases. I also used a trigger pull gauge to check for repeatabilty. All looks good.

I admire those that have the skill to safely rework a factory trigger. I have done a fair amount of home gunsmithing, but stoning hammers, triggers or sears is where I draw the line for for my skill level. I'll install an adjusable replacement or adjust an adjustable factory trigger, but I won't touch a sear, trigger, or hammer.

1983Weatherby
03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
I had that same trigger on my XP111. I cut 2 coils off, replaced. Did safety testing and then cut a little more. I would say I cut about 2.5coils and there was no creep and no safety issues.

I'm not recommending this, just letting you know it worked great for me. I started small and worked up. Cut too much ya need another replacement spring.

gpb11
03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm satisfied with the trigger the way it's set now. It easily set to 2 pounds, where I wanted it. It has almost no creep or over travel. I could probably adjust every last bit of creep and over travel out, but I feel safer with a little more sear engagment and a touch of over travel that allows a consistent sear release.

gwtx
04-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I just got a Sav1 for my brand new Stevens 200 today. It won't work on this new(?) style trigger. The "hump" on the heel where the spring protrudes hits the bottom of the safety , limiting the travel to the point that the sear can't trip.
I DUNNO? SSS?

Just picked up a Stevens 200 in .223 for a build for my wife and I was suprised to see this set-up also. It sux, to say the least. I could do a lighter spring and stone down the sear for less creep and engagement but I still have a turd trigger. I'm thinking that the only sensible option will be a Rifle Basix Sav1.

thomae
04-07-2013, 07:29 AM
http://i.imgflip.com/10be4.jpg

gwtx
04-07-2013, 09:23 PM
http://i.imgflip.com/10be4.jpg

http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/gwtx/library/
This is the trigger I have. The hump on the sav1 is touching the safety slide when installed, and won't allow the trigger to move enough to trip.
How do you get the pics to "insert" directly to the post?

thomae
04-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Right click on the image in your photobucket album,
"Open image in new tab"
Then copy the URL of that new tab and paste it into the box that appears when you click on the "insert image" icon in the post.
http://mob1157.photobucket.com/albums/p583/gwtx/IMG_1520.jpg

http://mob1157.photobucket.com/albums/p583/gwtx/IMG_1513.jpg

http://mob1157.photobucket.com/albums/p583/gwtx/IMG_1515.jpg

I don't have any experience with the SAV-1, but it looks like you would have to either return it or if you wanted to mod it, carefully file down the hump until the engagement with the safety lever was appropriate. You might wish to contact Rf;e Basix and see what their tech support folks have to say before you actually modify anything.

By the way, I am glad you took my post as it was meant...with some humor.

gwtx
04-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks, for the help. I'm not familiar with the Savage/Stevens triggers. Does this look like something new or is it a modified Edge/Axis, or what? From what I see, the entire assembly would need to be changed to gain anything. Like a sav2, or sss comp. But I'm not sure what will fit.

RTY66
04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Have the same problem with an older 110 trigger. My original looks just like yours, contacted Rifle Basix and talked to them(nice people) and they told me to modify the trigger to match my old one and see if it would work. It functioned but would not adjust to under 4 1/2 lb. even with a lighter spring. They said if the SAV-1 wouldn't fit then the SAV-2 wouldn't either. They let me return the trigger. The Timney trigger is the same configuration as the SAV-1. Ordered a JARD. Problems here also, with this trigger you also change the sear. When I installed everything functioned, but when cocking the sear over travels and hangs up on the trigger creep adjusting screw. Fast not permanent fix was to shim under bolt release. Second problem was could not get it to adjust over 10 oz.(way too light for me). Contacted JARD(also real nice people) and they haven't had this problem either. Have a gunsmith friend that is going to help me try to get the JARD to work if we can ever get together. While I'm sorry you're having problems, I'm also glad I' not the only one. Let me know if you find a fix.

gwtx
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
to RTY66, Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think I had the only one ever made. I'm researching all avenues I can think of. So yours is an older model? How old? What do they do, just throw on whatever is at hand when they're assembling a "Stevens" ?
The original trigger is pretty good for a cheap rifle, but it's heavier than I'd like. main reason I bought a Sav1 was a sale price at E.A. Brown. These are not cheap rifles any longer, mine was $355, and I did a lot of shopping before paying that much. EVERYTHING that has to do with shooting has gone crazy pricewise. If I buy an expensive trigger assembly, I'll have as much in this rifle as I could have gotten a Vanguard 2 SUB MOA for. Anyway, thanks, and good luck. Please let me know how your turns out. Gary

scatterbrains
04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
That really looks like an Axis trigger, heres a pic of timneys axis next to stock axis trigger
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Timney-Axis/Thumbs/DSC00325.jpg

BillPa
04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
When I installed everything functioned, but when cocking the sear over travels and hangs up on the trigger creep adjusting screw.

That's fairly normal. The sear overshoots the trigger on most if not all actions. You need to devise a way to restrict it's reset position.

I don't know about the newer production sears, but the older ones have a hole in them just above the edge where it contacts the action. I open the hole slightly, silver solder a threaded sleeve in and use a 4-40 set screw to adjust how far it can overshoot the engagement screw.

http://i50.tinypic.com/zujb51.jpg

Bill

gwtx
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
I talked with Clay Mitchell at RifleBasix today. What a nice guy. Genuinely interested in my problem. I sent him pics of the trigger. I am going to try the Sav2 trigger and see if it fits/works. He was not aware of any design changes, though after seeing the pics he will know more about it. Couldn't ask for nicer/better customer service. Even if the sav2 doesn't work, I''m glad I tried the RB. Gary

ShowMeShooter
04-09-2013, 11:41 AM
I went with the SSS comp trigger. It took about 20-30 minutes to install and adjust properly. I've never looked back. The trigger is safe, with a very consistent trigger pull. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great trigger. Wanna talk about service? The folks there are top shelf.

gwtx
04-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. Glad you got a trigger you're happy with. The folks at SSS tell me that "the new Stevens 200 uses the same trigger as the Axis/Edge. A lot of people have installed the Sav1 on the Axis/Edge rifles, But it will not fit this(apparently) odd ball trigger I have.
I'll post the results.

xtratoy
04-09-2013, 10:31 PM
You don't see those $2 bills everyday. I like how you have it nonchalantly placed in your picture!

ShowMeShooter
04-10-2013, 02:08 AM
You don't see those $2 bills everyday. I like how you have it nonchalantly placed in your picture!

I hadn't noticed that was in the pic. When I was taking those pics my wife came in with that $2 bill and asked me to put it in the safe when I was done playing with my toys...good eye.

gwtx
04-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Update.
I got the SAV 2 trigger Thursday. Installed it. Shot it. It is a great trigger. Couldn't be happier(with the trigger that is). I'm trying to conserve ammo while getting this rifle dialed in. My groups were not good, trailing down, checked actionscrews,and the rear screw was not bottoned out. I had torqued them several times while working with the trigger. A close check revealed that the front screw bottomed out at about 28"lbs. The rear one kept pulling the action into the stock up to about 32"lbs. I torqued them up in steps. Only had two rounds left. Shot them and they were touching each other. Later in the day after putting some more rounds together, I shot two more to see where the cold barrel was gonna shoot,, both were touching. :) I'm happy with the rifle, now if I can get this cheap scope to track when making small changes, I'll be elated.... Gary

Thanks for the reply. Glad you got a trigger you're happy with. The folks at SSS tell me that "the new Stevens 200 uses the same trigger as the Axis/Edge. A lot of people have installed the Sav1 on the Axis/Edge rifles, But it will not fit this(apparently) odd ball trigger I have.
I'll post the results.