PDA

View Full Version : Main spring replacement-Decreased Lock time.

GaryB
02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Has anyone tried replacing their main spring to reduce lock time, and if so did you notice any gain in accuracy?

David Tubb used to make firing pins and spring for the 110, but no longer does.
Here is some information on the Winchester M70 replacement parts...

http://www.davidtubb.com/speedlck-win-70-short-action

And here are replacement springs made by Wolf Springs...

http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/SAVAGE/110/cID2/mID54/dID247

I'm just curious. I think I have gone over the top on this new build! It's been 8 years since my last build or firearm purchase. :o :( :confused:

scope eye
02-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Tanks for the link, I have and as well as others have noticed reduced lock time, with just my "bolt lift kit" so I can only Imagine what a spring change would do.

Tanks Dean

BillPa
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Decreasing the Savage lock time is accomplished outside of the bolt, not in it,

Bill

scope eye
02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Decreasing the Savage lock time is accomplished outside of the bolt, not in it,

Bill

Bill can you please elaborate on this.

Dean

BillPa
02-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Bill can you please elaborate on this.

Dean

Ah, that would be too easy! :p

I'll give you a hint. http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=00043323&PMPXNO=1646896&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

J.Baker
02-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Be thankful Tubbs is no longer offering his kit - because all it ever did for anyone was cause poor ignition issues from light primer strikes. The Savage already has the fastest lock-time on the market, and the those in the know have actually done the math and experimentation to confirm that the stock firing pin spring rate is spot on for fastest lock time in the Savage design with reliable ignition.

GaryB
02-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Be thankful Tubbs is no longer offering his kit - because all it ever did for anyone was cause poor ignition issues from light primer strikes. The Savage already has the fastest lock-time on the market, and those in the know have actually done the math and experimentation to confirm that the stock firing pin spring rate is spot on for fastest lock time in the Savage design with reliable ignition.

And that's what I wanted to know. I won't waste the $9.00 on a spring.

Thank you sir!

J.Baker
02-21-2013, 05:42 PM
NP - just another classic example of some manufacturer/shooter/gunsmith who's totally ignorant of Savage's trying to treat them the same as a Remington. Just because it does good things on a Remmy action doesn't mean it will do the same on other brands to.

BillPa
02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
And that's what I wanted to know. I won't waste the $9.00 on a spring.

Yep spend a buck on a sear torsion spring made with .035 wire to replace the factory .045", less resistance for the firing spring to overcome. Not only does it decrease LT but also increases primer impact energy.

BUT....I you make that change you need to make darn sure the sear moves free and unrestricted and save the dang grease and WD for squeaky barn door hinges!

BTW, the .035" torsion spring was one of Fred's (Sharpshooter) tweaks from years past.

Bill

GaryB
02-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Yep spend a buck on a sear torsion spring made with .035 wire to replace the factory .045", less resistance for the firing spring to overcome. Not only does it decrease LT but also increases primer impact energy.

BUT....I you make that change you need to make darn sure the sear moves free and unrestricted and save the dang grease and WD for squeaky barn door hinges!

BTW, the .035" torsion spring was one of Fred's (Sharpshooter) tweaks from years past.

Bill

I replaced the trigger in my M11 some time ago with a Timney. I think I'll leave it alone for now, but thanks for the information.

Gary

82boy
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
The problem is when people change out componets of a moderen bolt action rifle thay are basicly attempting to fix a problem that doesn't exist. You have to remember the old saying is so very true there is no free lunches. With anything there is always a trade off for example, if you go with a heavier spring, you gain a heavier bolt lift. It is not just with the Savage design many fall into this web of deception it also happens with Custom and Remigton actions. If you see that you have gained something by going to a heavier spring, even in the name of "faster lock time," what you have discovered is that you have an ignigtion problem, and you have placed a band aid fix on the problem. The biggest problem that occures when people attemp to improve on the design of there guns and gain lock time, is that they will intruduce a harmonic, and it will cause other problems.

The question is; What is so wrong with your gun that you see a need to improve the lock time? The next question is; How fast does lock time need to be? As mentioned the Savage design has one of the fastest lock times of ANY bolt action rifle on the market. It is faster than the competition, it is faster than the custom actions such as Panda, Bat, Etc, these guns seem to be super accurate.

Witht hat all said your better off not messing wit it at all.

P.S. The best thing that D Tubbs ever did was discontinue the speed lock system for the Savage rifles.