PDA

View Full Version : 10ML/10ML-II: New ML-II on 2009? (Cabelas Black Powder Edition)

encoreguy
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I have heard that in the 2009 Cabelas catalog that they list a Savage BP muzzleloader with a 26" barrel. Is this a BP only or smokeless? Randy what is up?

RandyWakeman
01-12-2009, 12:12 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0065969216926a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=Savage&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

There it is; the world's greatest muzzleloader is now available from Cabela's. As you can tell from the designation, (10ML-BP) it is intended for and optimized for use with blackpowder and blackpowder subs.

This new model is a Cabela's exclusive-- an extremely soft shooter, I can tell you the new Savage P.A.D works extremely well on this rifle. Congratulations to both Cabela's and Savage Arms.

tucker301
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
One has to wonder if the gun will safely use smokeless powders.
And why wouldn't Cabelas go ahead and offer the standard version?

RandyWakeman
01-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Naturally, what any retailer handles is up to them. It's no secret that Cabela's likes to offer "Cabela's Exclusives"-- precisely what this model is.

From a retailer point of view, when a significant portion of your business involves the inventorying, storage, and distribution of blackpowder subs and related products (cleaners, jags, patches, powder measures, other accessories)-- it makes perfect sense to add to your product array in a way the compliments the rest of your offerings seamlessly. Very good business sense, if not common sense.

To be able to offer your customers the softest shooting, best built muzzleloader on the market with the fastest locktime, best trigger, etc., all scoped-up and ready to hunt at a price several hundred dollars less than an Encore Pro-Hunter, for example, just gives Cabela's a big leg up on other retailers.

encoreguy
01-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I think I would buy one if I knew that it would handle smokeless. 26" barrel, maybe a little better quality on the inside? If it had a better quality stock than the synthetic ML-II it would be a lot cheaper than what I did to mine. Is the barrel nut made so that we cannot change out the barrels? I wonder if you have to loosen a action screw to take out the bolt? Looks nice though!

J.Baker
01-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Ok, here's the scoop on the 10ML-BP differences, straight from the mouth of Joe DeGrande.

1. Ramrod thimble is shaped differently and is a little longer in length
2. Breech plug now has a hex nut on the back rather than the 4-slots for the old removal tool.
3. 2" longer barrel
4. Barrel is a large shank rather than the standard shank like on the other 10ML-II models.
5. Action screw spacing on the BP is 4.40" to match the new centerfeed centerfires, while all other 10ML-II's still use the old staggered-feed spacing of 4.275"
6. These are only recommended for use with black powder or an equivalent substitute. NO SMOKELESS!

All other 10ML-II's will still come with the old style breech plug and ramrod until their current supply runs out. Whether or not they will change the screw spacing and barrel shank diameter on these like they have the BP is still unknown.

RandyWakeman
01-22-2009, 10:20 PM
I wonder if you have to loosen a action screw to take out the bolt? Looks nice though!

No, you sure don't. Here's what the new socket head breech plugs look like:

http://randywakeman.com/Savagesocketplug.jpg

I've made them available; people have wanted this for years. If you'd like more info, send an e-mail to randymagic@aol.com.

esmd
01-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Randy, is the new socket head breech plug compatible in ML-II's already on the market that shoot smokeless? Of are they only rated for BP subs in the new Cabela's version?

RandyWakeman
01-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Yes, the breechplug is identical-- not much else is (barrel, barrel shank, stock, etc.). Whether Savage will implement it as a running production change throughout the series is not clear at this point.

Jim Baker already documented the changes in the rifle itself from the 10ML-II line.

As for the Cabela's rifle itself, I've been shooting the prototype since last September. Savage did a very good job with it; the addition of the P.A.D. pad makes it a really soft shooter: the softest shooting factory muzzleloader I've tested.

There's quite a bit of new load information in the "Savage Arms BLACK POWDER MUZZLELOADER MODEL 10ML-BP" owner's manual. I guess I should know; I developed most of it.

Turkey68
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Will the new P.A.D. be made available to purchase separately? Will it fit the 10ml2 laminated stock?

RandyWakeman
09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
No, sorry, it does not fit laminated stocks.

hycountry
08-06-2010, 10:12 PM
I know i'm responding to an old topic, but it is directly related and I can't resist. I purchased a Cabela ML-BP late last season (2009) on sale. I investigated with Savage and confirmed that it was BP only. Not a problem for me because I was upgrading from a T/C Renegade. I also liked what I was reading about blackhorn 209.
Anyway... I just had a scope mounted and was cutting the tags off of the trigger guard today. Here is what one of them said:
"WARNING
This Savage Arms MUZZLELOADER is designed to shoot the recommended SMOKELESS POWDER, BLACK POWDER, PYRODEX and other BLACKPOWDER substitutes.

DO NOT use smokeless powders in any other muzzleloading firearm unless expressly recommended by the manufacturer.

The use of more than one type of powder..."(ect, ect...)
This was on an orange tag along with several other tags. This is kind of a mixed message. Of course I made my buying decision based on it being BP only...just makes me wonder.

RandyWakeman
08-06-2010, 11:28 PM
It shouldn't be a mixed message at all if you read the barrel, read the 10ML-BP owners' manual, or have ever read any Cabela's ads for it.

hycountry
08-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Actually I did read up on it before I made the decision to purchase. I even called Savage to verify that it was BP only. I purchased Buckhorn 209 to use. The Barrel is clearly stamped with a "BP"

The mixed message is the tag from Savage on the trigger guard which says Smokeless CAN be used...

RandyWakeman
08-09-2010, 12:02 AM
There is zero mixed-message on a "Cabelas Black Powder Edition." Certainly no mixed message on this forum where exactly what it was has remained clearly spelled out as a sticky for a very long while. It is the top sticky in the FAQ section right above: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,21240.msg155494.html#msg155494.

tondar15
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
There may be no marketing mixed message...

but if I had one I would investigate the technical specs and make a decision for myself if I should be shooting smokeless.

earl39
09-01-2010, 11:30 PM
well i for one can understand the mixed message. not everyone will do what they should and read the book nor does everyone read this site. now Randy if you have the safety ear of savage then you should point the error in tagging out to them before someone without reading past the triggerguard tags goes and loads up with a smokeless load his buddy uses in his ml-ll. think about how many people will buy a gun and just read the tags attached to the gun and not even open the owners manual unless something goes wrong and in this case that might be too late. hopefully this was the only mistake in tagging that was made but i would doubt it.

Gary