PDA

View Full Version : Axis Barrels On Model 11 Action

wbm
02-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Was talking to Jim Briggs about putting a matte finish barrel from an Axis on a Model 11 short action. The finish on the Axis barrels matches the finish on the Model 11 Light Weight Hunter perfectly. He said "since the Axis doesn't have a recoil lug are you sure the barrel threads on the Axis barrel are long enough?" In other words when you add a recoil lug and barrel nut is there enough thread length on the Axis barrel to accommodate that. Had not thought about that?

Will it work?

thirty06
02-20-2013, 10:03 AM
The Axis has a recoil lug, it just stays in the stock not on the action.

wbm
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks thirty06 so there is no problem with thread length on the Axis barrel?

drybean
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
only if you add a recoil lug

drybean

drybean
02-20-2013, 10:45 AM
only if you add a recoil lug
if you do you will have to machine the front of the action back
or remove some of the threads in front of the barrel nut

drybean

drybean
02-20-2013, 10:52 AM
sorry miss read your post!
yes a axis barrel will fit your action

drybean

J.Baker
02-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Yes it could be a problem - only way to know for sure is to measure the length of the threads on an Axis take-off to compare to a 110 take-off. I'm guessing the Axis threaded length is shorter otherwise threads would likely be visible in front of the nut on the barrel due to the absence of the factory 110-style lug.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/Gun%20Stuff/DSC00787.jpg

As you can see in the above photo, the Axis lug interfaces with the action via a slot milled into the front of the action and thus it's thickness has no bearing or relationship with the length of the barrel threads as it would on the 110-series rifles.

That said, knowing how Savage tends to do things I"m betting the threaded length is the same for both the Axis and M110-series guns. Why? Because they're not going to stockpile two different batches of otherwise identical barrels with different thread lengths when one length would allow them to use the same lot of barrels for either model. It's simply not efficient or productive.

Then again....Savage has done some pretty dumb stuff in recent years so it's anyone's guess until someone actually pulls an Axis barrel and measures it.

wbm
02-20-2013, 12:22 PM
That said, knowing how Savage tends to do things I"m betting the threaded length is the same for both the Axis and M110

My bet is on that too.

Then again....Savage has done some pretty dumb stuff in recent years

Yes they have.

Thanks for the info Jim. Going to give it a try probably. Not that difficult to extend the threads if I need too.

Maybe someone who has an Axis will do some measuring for me.

J.Baker
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Might be harder than you think. On factory sporter barrels they generally start the taper right at the end of the threads. You might end up with a slight gap between the nut and barrel as a result (similar to what happens when you try to set a factory barrel back 1/4" to get a fresh throat).

wbm
02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Did not think about that. Think I'll rethink the whole thing.

sharpshooter
02-21-2013, 01:09 AM
The Axis/Edge barrels are of the same contour and thread spec of all the other standard shank models. The only thing different is the roll stamp.

J.Baker
02-21-2013, 06:22 AM
The Axis/Edge barrels are of the same contour and thread spec of all the other standard shank models. The only thing different is the roll stamp.

And that answers that question.

wbm
02-21-2013, 09:26 AM
I believe it does. Thanks Fred!

J.Baker
02-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Got a little additional info on this while out to Fred's today. The front end of the Axis action is actually 3/16" longer than that of the 110 actions, and that slot machined in the action for the Axis lug is 3/16" deep as well which coincidentally is the same thickness as the factory 110 recoil lugs. So if you want to use a standard 110 style recoil lug with any factory or pre-fit barrel all you have to do is chuck the action up in your lathe or mill and trim the face back so it matches the depth of the slot all the way around the circumference.