PDA

View Full Version : Savage 16 .243 build for F-class shooting.

IA_shooter
02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
So I think I've finally decided to just do a build off of my current Savage 16 .243 for some F-class shooting/fun shooting.

I haven't decided which barrel yet, but probably between a Brux or Shilen 28" or 30", 1 in 8 twist SS bull barrel.

I think I want a SSS Dog Tracker stock or something very similar.

For the scope I'm leaning towards a Sightron SIII 8-32X56 w/fine crosshair reticle.

I talked to a few barrel makers and it looks like I may be waiting 2-3 months to get a barrel. :sulkiness: Uless someone out there knows where to find one quicker.:confused:

I'm also wondering if there would be a good place to look for a stock?

I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal on a scope as well.

I also wouldn't mind finding a little better front rest, I currently have a Caldwell tripod based rest but finding something a little taller/wider might be the way to go for actual competition. Any suggestions in that area?

Thanks.

Trevor

JASmith
02-20-2013, 01:38 PM
What caliber are you planning to go with?

If it is .243, I will be interested in seeing how things go. My middle son is interested in long range shooting but, like the rest of us, would prefer to minimize the recoil fatigue resulting from a long day's worth of shooting.

JCalhoun
02-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Before buying a stock, look at the F-Class rules and see what is allowed.

2guard
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
I built a 243 last year with a lothar walther supermatch barrel, 28" 1/8 from here: http://www.ferret50.com/products.html

I had it in about 2 weeks from them. I bought a bunch of the hornady 75gr cheap, so I have been shooting it to get some brass (and it likes it apparently, about 1/2" at 100), but plan on shooting 105 amax when I reload (just havent had the time over the winter, hopefully spring). I usually buy mcgowen barrels, but decided to try something different.
I'm running a sightron 6-24x50 mrad up top, RB trigger and a stockade woochuck stock with vbull dbm on a stevens 200 sa.

IA_shooter
02-21-2013, 11:55 PM
I have a Criterion 28" SS bull barrel along with a new barrel nut, barrel wrench and action wrench? on the way. Got everything from Jim @ Northland, nice guy.

So now that I have that stuff on the way I am wondering this........should I just buy a Savage Target Action for it to build off of? I'm wondering if the Target Action has the same threads as the barrel I ordered for the Savage 16 I have, I think I read somewhere there might be different threads?

goinssr
02-22-2013, 12:47 AM
The target action is a large shank and the 16 is a small shank...I think! What shank size did you order your barrel in?

IA_shooter
02-22-2013, 12:50 AM
The target action is a large shank and the 16 is a small shank...I think! What shank size did you order your barrel in?
I ordered for small shank, but that's ok, I may just try to find a good used action to build with now, then I can have two guns in .243, just what I need right? ;)

JCalhoun
02-22-2013, 10:23 PM
The standard action will easier to find stocks for than the target action.