PDA

View Full Version : New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

JerseyBiker
05-05-2013, 11:27 AM
I saw the Savage 11 VT today in a DSG ad in this morning's newspaper. It is on sale for $500. I currently have a Ruger 10/22 rifle, a Thompson Center 50 cal muzzle loader and a Remington 870 12 gauge. I want to add a high power rifle to use for target practice at Fort Dix, NJ. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I would like the best bang for the buck as a starter rifle. Though I did shoot M14 and M16's in The Marine Corps back in the mid 70's, I don't really know much about high caliber civilian rifles. Would this be a good choice for target practicing and are there maybe better choices at this price range? Thanks

HobbyShooter
05-05-2013, 01:02 PM
For the price, I think its pretty hard to beat. I got mine two weeks ago and have put a couple hundred rounds through it so far with no feed issues at all. I'm not a huge fan of the scope. I plan on selling it and buying a SWFA scope. With the faster 1:10 twist rate, it really favors the 168 and 175 grain bullets. I haven't tried anything heavier yet. I'm a new shooter and my groups are in the 1.5" range at 100 yards, but I expect to reach sub MOA with more practice and better positioning.

ellobo
05-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Be aware that Savage barrels can copper up quickly when new. If accuracy drops off, clean out the copper with a solution made for it. Make sure the barrel and tang is free floated and you should be good to go. Those 11VT's so far have a good reputations. I think you did well on this one. Savage barrels seem to shoot more acurately when dirty so dont be too quick to clean until, like with copper, accuracy drops off.
el Lobo

JerseyBiker
05-06-2013, 09:08 AM
For the price, I think its pretty hard to beat. I got mine two weeks ago and have put a couple hundred rounds through it so far with no feed issues at all.

Thanks for the reply. I went to Dick's yesterday to check it out. They had 2 in stock but both were the 223 models. I want a 308. Today I am going to travel a ways to a gun shop with a buddy of mine that know a lot more than me. He say's there are probably similar models of the Dick's Savage VT 11 there.

JerseyBiker
05-08-2013, 01:48 PM
It took a lot of running around but I finally picked up a 11 VT in .308. I called a DSG about 30 miles away that said they had one in stock. When I got there I was told someone made a mistake because they did not have any. Needless to say I was quite disappointed and angry for driving so far for nothing. That DSG called another DSG store that was another 35 miles further North. It was confirmed they had the 11 VT I wanted. I made the trip to the second DSG and did indeed purchased the 11 VT. It's been some years since I last purchased a firearm. I purchased the gun but I will not be able to pick it up for about 2 weeks because of the background check process. They had a trigger lock on it and after the took the lock off I was not allowed to touch it anymore. They put it in it's box, took me to the register to pay for it and they took it away. Now I have over 100 mile round trip to pick it up. One good thing is that I got $80 in additional discount. $50 discount for opening a DSG credit card account and I'll receive about $30 back in rewards point which means I purchased the rifle for $420

HobbyShooter
05-10-2013, 11:52 PM
It took a lot of running around but I finally picked up a 11 VT in .308. I called a DSG about 30 miles away that said they had one in stock. When I got there I was told someone made a mistake because they did not have any. Needless to say I was quite disappointed and angry for driving so far for nothing. That DSG called another DSG store that was another 35 miles further North. It was confirmed they had the 11 VT I wanted. I made the trip to the second DSG and did indeed purchased the 11 VT. It's been some years since I last purchased a firearm. I purchased the gun but I will not be able to pick it up for about 2 weeks because of the background check process. They had a trigger lock on it and after the took the lock off I was not allowed to touch it anymore. They put it in it's box, took me to the register to pay for it and they took it away. Now I have over 100 mile round trip to pick it up. One good thing is that I got $80 in additional discount. $50 discount for opening a DSG credit card account and I'll receive about $30 back in rewards point which means I purchased the rifle for $420

Congratulations on the purchase! I like mine more and more as I keep shooting it. Today I shot a .8 MOA group at 100 yards and a .72 MOA group at 200 yards with some 168 grain FGMM ammo. That was with a gusty wind too. My only gripe is still the scope. It's very finicky about eye relief at high magnification and the turret clicks are hard to feel, as in unpredictable. When I try adjusting several clicks in any direction, I find myself trying to figure out if I had just turned 2 or 3 clicks often. Very nonpositive, if that were a word.

But the rifle itself is all aces in my book.

HobbyShooter
05-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Also, be aware that the magazine is very stiff at first. The first 10 to 15 times I loaded it up and snapped it into position were a little tricky. It's loosened up enough now that it's easy to pop into place.

JerseyBiker
05-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Congratulations on the purchase! I like mine more and more as I keep shooting it. Today I shot a .8 MOA group at 100 yards and a .72 MOA group at 200 yards with some 168 grain FGMM ammo. That was with a gusty wind too. My only gripe is still the scope. It's very finicky about eye relief at high magnification and the turret clicks are hard to feel, as in unpredictable. When I try adjusting several clicks in any direction, I find myself trying to figure out if I had just turned 2 or 3 clicks often. Very nonpositive, if that were a word.

But the rifle itself is all aces in my book.

Thanks. I can't wait to have my Savage in my possession. This is my first high power rifle so I have a lot to learn. I never used a scope before. I have a Ruger 22 but never mounted a scope on it. A good friend of mine who has several high power rifles is going to teach me the ins and outs.

Jailcop1964
06-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I just picked up one yesterday, anyone have any suggestions on what stock I can buy to replace the original one. This is my first bolt action and would like to build it for 400-500 yard shooting.

HobbyShooter
06-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I plan on taking mine out to 800+ yards with the factory stock. I've replaced the scope mount with a one piece Weaver unit and the scope rings have been swapped for some Weaver rings and I'm getting sub MOA groups most times I go out. Lately, I've been experimenting with different powder charges and had a series of .25 to .5 MOA 3 shot groups and I'm new to shooting bolt action as well.

Here's a target from yesterday. I've switched to 175 SMKs from 168, so I haven't found that .5 MOA or less combination yet. The white squares are close to .75" across.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/TsiTalons_photos/Miscelaneous/IMAG0809_zpse6ea0ff4.jpg

Jailcop1964
06-08-2013, 06:52 AM
HobbyShooter, what scope are you using? also how good is having a dual pillared stock like the 11VT has compared to a fully bedded stock?

brasse
06-09-2013, 04:33 PM
The plastic magazines are essentially all the same. Same part number for a Axis, Models 10,11, and 16 TH. They are different for calibers,
I have purchased two additional ones for my DBM Creedmoor. Listed for 308, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243, and 7-08. Savage Axis P/N 107989Holds four and gets better with each time used. I sent one off to Ratmag to be turned into a 10 rounder.

HobbyShooter
06-11-2013, 11:14 PM
HobbyShooter, what scope are you using? also how good is having a dual pillared stock like the 11VT has compared to a fully bedded stock?

Still using the factory scope and I still think it's just about useless for what I need it to do. I'm sure a fully bedded stock would be better, but at my skill level (or lack thereof) I don't know if I'd be able to see a difference in my groups.

The plastic magazines are essentially all the same. Same part number for a Axis, Models 10,11, and 16 TH. They are different for calibers,
I have purchased two additional ones for my DBM Creedmoor. Listed for 308, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243, and 7-08. Savage Axis P/N 107989Holds four and gets better with each time used. I sent one off to Ratmag to be turned into a 10 rounder.

True. I bought a DBM mag for a .308 Axis and it fits my rifle perfectly. They do fit better with use, don't they.

Sitting Duck
06-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I bought my 11VT in .308 last March and this is my take on it.

Pros: Heavy barreled guns, I like. Fit and finish is very good. Equally as good as the R700 sitting next to it when I bought it. DBM I like as well as the smooth barrel nut. The stock is free-floated and acceptable but I'll replace it down the road. The sling mount works fine with a Harris bipod with no rigging. The Accutrigger works fine but is butt ugly.

Cons: I don't like the trigger guard front bolt release function as well as my old R700. The magazine issue has been addressed but my problem wasn't with the last round but the first. The bolt would skim right over the top and leave it in the magazine. The extraction ring on the cartridge was catching on the back metal of the magazine causing it to dive instead of surface. I have to push the last round loaded up to the front of the magazine to overcome this. The other rounds feed fine.

That's it. I like the looks plenty fine and the heft of the rifle. My groups are nothing to brag about at 1+ MOA at 100 but my rifle w/bipod hops a lot so I have some technique issues to work out. As far as the Bushnell Sharpshooter scope goes I never used it. I'll stick it on a .22 someday.

For the money, I feel I received a good value.

kwiq4u2006
06-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Would anyone suggest a new stock for this Bobby hart or Boyds laminate? If I do this it needs to be a blind mag I read how to do this but i need a scope I was thinking sniper brand ? With high Mount rings? Please help my first build

HobbyShooter
06-25-2013, 12:29 AM
I can't help you with the stock since I haven't looked into options yet.

The scope is entirely up to you and really depends on what you're going to use the rifle for, what features you want, and what you can afford.

The rings need to both keep the scope off the barrel, and position the scope so that when you take a natural cheek weld, your sight picture is usable. I've heard the best way to position a scope is to close your eyes, shoulder the rifle, and then open your eyes. The scope should be positioned so that you can open your eyes and have a good sight picture without having to move your head around. Whether that will require low, medium, high, or even extra high rings depends on that sight picture and the need to keep the scope's objective lens off the barrel.

Jailcop1964
06-27-2013, 09:19 PM
I just received a set of Weaver "six hole tactical" picatinny rings and 20 moa mount. I'll mount them to a Weaver Kaspa extreme tactical 3x12x44 scope. I have a Choate Tactical stock on order. This is my first build of a bolt action Savage, I'm looking to get my hands on a 10FP-SR or a 10P with the threaded 5R barrel as my next project.

plinkin
07-04-2013, 02:32 AM
One interesting thing my friend behind the counter did say was that most of DSG discounts specifically exclude firearms, but if you open up a new DSG credit card account, you could get 10% off anything, including firearms, that would bring the pre-tax $599 price down to $539.10.

That's what I know.

I was looking at a .223 & .22-250 in the 11VT last night at my local Dick's in Erie County. They are now priced at $499. That is lower priced that most used .22-250s I see & less than a M25 lightweight walking varminter. Although the stocks seem somewhat unique they are cheap feeling & back by the tang safety you can see the action and stock do not mate well. I also don't care for the jelly like recoil pad. OK other than the stock (and the scope) it is a heck of a deal. I asked them what calibers they came in. I was sure there was a .308 but they didn't say but this thread confirmed it. Do they come in .204?

thomae
07-04-2013, 06:08 AM
... back by the tang safety you can see the action and stock do not mate well.
It is generally understood that the Savage Rifle works best with the tang fully floated, so a slight gap between the tang and the stock is actually considered ideal.

plinkin
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Would anyone suggest a new stock for this Bobby hart or Boyds laminate? If I do this it needs to be a blind mag I read how to do this but i need a scope I was thinking sniper brand ? With high Mount rings? Please help my first build

I could be wrong but I think the "Sniper" brand scopes are made by Leapers which makes many other brands of scope. You could find the exact same scope in a Leapers for less.