PDA

View Full Version : feeding problem, need help

cheapshot
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
I just put together a 22-250 using a long action. The rifle started life as a 30-06. The problem I am running into is the rifle absolutely will not feed, regardless of how I position the rounds in the magazine. It feeds and ejects fine as long as I am loading them one at a time. I am aware that I can convert it to a single shot, but I put this together in hopes of using it as my predator gun. Can someone please help me?!?! Also, this is a stagger feed.

cheapshot
02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Was there a difference in the magazine and follower for Short action rounds in the 110? In other words, is the magazine different for a 110 in 243 vs. a 110 in 30-06? The lips on my magazine stop about half way back and I am wondering if the one on say a 243 continue further. If anyone has a picture of a 110 chambered in a SA round, I would be greatly appreciative.

J.Baker
02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes - big difference. When S/A cartridges were offered in long-actions, the long action still used a short-action length magazine. The machine cut in the bottom of the action to accept the magazine was shorter for the short-action magazine. I know a few have come up with work arounds for this in the past, basically making an adapter of sorts to allow the use of a S/A magazine box in the long-action, but one of those folks will need to chime in with details as my memory isn't that good.

cheapshot
02-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Ok, so I tinkered with it a bit more today and got it to cycle, but only if I cycle it very quickly. I have identified the parts that I think I need. Magazine box and follower for a model 110 .308, .243, 22-250, etc. The problem is no one seems to have any in stock. Any other help would be greatly appreciated and if not I will keep all posted on progress.

243LPR
02-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I built a 308 on a 110(originally an 06) and have no problems with feeding from the mag so far, just lucky I guess.

cheapshot
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
So my Choate Tactical stock came in today. I put it all together and now she is cycling beautifully. Not sure what made the difference, but something did. Only thing I can think of is there must be some difference in the depth of the blind magazine causing the tension in the spring to alter. That combined with bending in the feeding lips slightly yesterday seems to have fixed the problem.

stangfish
02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I would venture to say that since the magazine attaches to the action your tweeking of the lips made all the difference. Sometimes you just have to hold your mouth right to get things to work.