PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Stevens 311E questions

TwistedCopper
02-19-2013, 01:11 PM
I saw this thread, which contests much of the other info I have read about these...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?7586-Stevens-Model-311E-SXS-12-ga-Date-of-manufacturer&highlight=stevens+311e

Mad Dog, I have one that is ser# A3073xx. Can I assume 1969 also?

I had found info that stated the serial# did not indicate date, but the date code was a circled letter inside the opened action. I found that hard to believe because that would have dated my gun to 1953 and it looks much newer than that.

Just wondering where one could reference the serial# for date. Do you have a link?

Also, I was wondering about the other markings in it, if they elude to which chokes the barrels are. Any onfo on that? the trusty dime check would tell me they are both full choke, but I am aware that can be subjective.

The marks inside the gun, and under the barrel are P F then an E with a circle around it. 20w on the right barrel, 7w on the left. Do not see any asterisks.

This model has 30" barrels.

TC

Mad Dog
02-19-2013, 05:55 PM
No, there is no link or anything like that, just years of collecting data.

Yours is a 1969 as well and in the 1969 catalog it states that the 30" barrels were mod/full chokes.

The letters you were looking at were inspectors markings and assembly marks. The date codes are the two stamps with the "W"'s in them, "W" was the date code for 69.

TwistedCopper
02-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks Mad Dog!

Anyone know a recoil pad that's made for these, or are they too long out of production for that?

Mad Dog
02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Could probably go with one of the slip on recoil pads if it's uncomfortable, that way if you ever had to sell it it won't be buggered.