PDA

View Full Version : Primers

gambler_m_99
02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Just wanted to ask you guys about the use of different primers in .223 cal. I have several different brands of primers (Federal, CCI, Winchester) and was wanting to know if it made a big differance in accuracy? I use the same primer on whatever lot I am loading at the tiime, so as not to get them mixed up.
Any advice?

I also have a full box of 73 grain .224 Berger BT Target (100ct) for sale. I was going to load in the ole Remington 788, but found out the twist rate was to slow. Asking $35.00 which includes shipping.

E-Mail--markbell@centurytel.net

jhelmuth
02-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Yes - primers make a significant impact on accuracy. I use CCI BR (benchrest) primers, but I've been noticing that others (who have much more experience than I) are talking about Wolf and/or Russian primers as being possibly better (which would be very cool as I think the world of CCI BR primers)...

Looking forward to seeing what others here have to say.

scope eye
02-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Do you like the BR primers, because they are suppose to be more consistent, or because they are thicker and can take a hotter load with less signs of pressure.

Dean

jhelmuth
02-18-2013, 09:02 PM
I get consistent results with them.... I had not considered that they are thichker nor about any of those implications from them. Do you feel the BR primers are a bad choice? Any recommendations I should look into (try)?

terrymiller
02-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Most reloaders I know use standard primers because they feel they're consistent enough. CCI's one of the favorite brands, though.

scope eye
02-18-2013, 09:51 PM
To tell you the truth, I am just to cheap to spend they extra money, and I am not a good enough shot to tell the difference, and I like the fact that the regular primers have a lower threshold of pain, IE start showing signs of pressure earlier, that's my signal that says OK Dean that's enough of that, cause that's where I draw the line, I never make it to sticky bolt status, I am far from reckless as some folks might think, or have they impression I am, due to my never ending quest for velocity, It's a fine line, but I rarely if ever cross it.

PS Mag primers also have a thicker skin, but I do not use them for another reason, they make faster burning powders spike high and hard, as far as pressure goes.

Tanks Dean

BoilerUP
02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
CCI-200s in my 260
CCI-450s in my 223AI (-200s were cratering and occasionally piercing)

I've interchanged -400s, -450s and Rem 6.5s in ARs and not seen any measurable difference in accuracy or ES/SD.

Once I burn through the last couple hundred -400s and Rem 6.5s, I plan on going all -450 for my small rifle primer needs.

bigedp51
02-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Please note the primer cup thickness, and how reading the primers for pressure could be deceiving.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/calhoonprimers02.png