PDA

View Full Version : Pistol: Where does this fit in????

davemuzz
02-18-2013, 06:58 PM
I picked up this Stevens 35 single shot a few years back from a fellow who bought it from another fellow. When my guy bought it, it was still in the factory plastic wrap and had never been shot. My seller had used it for raccoon hunting over his many years, and the gun...with the exception of a few pit marks is in excellent shape.

Now, I don't know if it even comes under the "umbrella" of a true "Savage" as this was a "Stevens" offhand model 35. From what I can see in searching the inter-woven-net created by Al Gore (Yeah...true!!) there were two "runs" of this handgun. The first was and early run and can be spotted by a cast trigger guard (which I have) and the second run has a stamped trigger guard, and an adjustable screw rear sight. (Which I don't have) The first production was started sometime in the late 1800's.

My handgun is in great shape, and I have shot it several times with "regular" 22-LR ammo. (No high velocity stuff). There is absolutely NO safety mechanisms of any kind on it, so one has to be careful when loading it.

The S\N is 49,xxx. Does anyone have any info on when this handgun may have been produced and if there is any relationship to Savage at all?

Thanks much.

Dave

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/Stevens35Image.jpg

PS...This is NOT a pic of my gun, but mine looks like this, with the exception that my gun has a cast trigger guard and the one in this pic has a stamped trigger guard.

Mad Dog
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Tough one.

From what I see it may or may not have something to do with Savage but within only a 9 year period.

Stevens became part of Savage Arms in 1920 and the trigger guard switched to sheet metal in 1929, it was cast before that. I can't date the gun but if it says J. Stevens A&T Co it was made between 1919-1942. If it says J. Stevens & Co then it was made prior to 1919.

Thats about the best I can do for you on a date. Could try to get it lettered.

davemuzz
02-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks M.D. I'm looking at it now and what my gun "say's" is "J. Stevens A. & T. Co. Chicopee falls Mass U.S.A."

Then, if I read your information right, my gun probably was made sometime between 1920 (Post Savage\Stevens merger) and 1929 (When stamped trigger guards were attached to them).

Dave

Mad Dog
02-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Yep, you got er.

davemuzz
02-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks M.D. At least I have it narrowed down to a ten year time span!! All things considered....that's pretty good!!

Dave