PDA

View Full Version : New 10 FLCP-K What Accessories

Pages : [1] 2

motorcyclerider
02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
I saw another left handed gun today and had to have it. It turned out to be another Savage in 308. My questions is what are some must have accessories for this firearm? Like what scope? The place I bought the gun from sells Mitchell tactical scopes. I have never heard of them. Does anyone know if there any good.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0155_zps25a9dad6.jpg

bodywerks
02-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Ditch that pos caldwel bipod and get a Harris. Ditch the accuwedge and do a traditional bed job. Your scope rail looks like its mounted backwards, might want to look into that. You may find you need to raise the cheek for prone shooting. If so go with a karsten adjustable. This rifle has the potential to shoot really well, so don't skimp on optics. Never heard of that Michell scope you speak of - probably a reason for that. I'd go no less than a millet trs-1, but would lean more to a $600+ scope with better glass at least 16x zoom, turrets that match the reticle, or a bdc reticle. Look at some of the vortex or Nikon offerings.

stangfish
02-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Going with Body I am going to suggest to you what I think is currently the best value out there and that is the Burris MTAC line. For long range the two higher poweer units are awesome with Mil turrets and a G2b MD reticle. The parallax is on the objective but don't let that scare you. These are awesome scopes and have less problems than the side parallax. Check them out.
I have this one and I am blown away by the clarity of the glass.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0P80GP0848

This one for your >300 shots
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BURRIS-MTAC-6-5-20x50mm-PA-Rifle-Scope-G2B-Mil-Dot-Reticle-Mil-Knobs-200471-/230837801811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf015353

motorcyclerider
02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Ditch that pos caldwel bipod and get a Harris.
On the way

Ditch the accuwedge and do a traditional bed job.
Will look into this

Your scope rail looks like its mounted backwards, might want to look into that.
It was backwards

I'd go no less than a millet trs-1, but would lean more to a $600+ scope with better glass at least 16x zoom, turrets that match the reticle, or a bdc reticle. Look at some of the vortex or Nikon offerings.
Ordered the Millet TRS-1 found a deal.

Thanks for the info

Anyone know if they make larger capacity clips for it.

missed
02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
I have the same gun I love mine.

I'm running a Harris bi pod. Egw 20 moa base, vortex viper 6-20x50 scope, I built a kydex cheek riser with a tactical works shell holder over it. I have not bedded my action, just checked to make sure it was still torqued. I have bedded the scope base. It shot a .462 group yesterday in gusty winds at 100. Its an excellent gun. I want one in .223 after I build the truck gun

bodywerks
02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Yep. Sharpshooter supply. I found it best to email them. Just put '9 round magazine' in the subject line. If you are comfortable with it give them your credit card number and ask for confirmation of the order. Otherwise, leave them your number and ask them to call you.

missed
02-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Oh yeah sss for 9 round mags.

I'm going to eventually go to cdi bottom metals so I can run ai mags in my guns.

motorcyclerider
02-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Oh yeah sss for 9 round mags.

I'm going to eventually go to cdi bottom metals so I can run ai mags in my guns.

Can you explain the benefits to redoing the bottom metals to me? :confused:

missed
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Going to an ai compatible bottom metal makes it so there is one standard magazine, ai mags are more readily available and in the 5 and 10 round and in staggered and non staggered configurations. I was originally going to leave mine with the factory ones but the factory mags are pricey and there is only one manufacturer of higher capacity magazines.

243LPR
02-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Scope rail on backwards? Looks right to me, mine overhangs the recoil lug just like that one. ??

motorcyclerider
02-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Going to an ai compatible bottom metal makes it so there is one standard magazine, ai mags are more readily available and in the 5 and 10 round and in staggered and non staggered configurations. I was originally going to leave mine with the factory ones but the factory mags are pricey and there is only one manufacturer of higher capacity magazines.
So this is the only benefit?

Scope rail on backwards? Looks right to me, mine overhangs the recoil lug just like that one. ??
It was backwards. I fixed it and posted a new pic with it fixed to hide my ignorance.

missed
02-19-2013, 08:02 AM
So this is the only benefit?

It was backwards. I fixed it and posted a new pic with it fixed to hide my ignorance.

Pretty much.

bodywerks
02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
There is another maker of hi cap mags for savage bottom metal but the name escapes me right now.

stangfish
02-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Pretty much.

:pop2:

bodywerks
02-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Darkeaglecustoms is the other maker of extended mags for savage dbm

missed
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Darkeaglecustoms is the other maker of extended mags for savage dbm

Thanks for that, they have some neat gear, after seeing that I may keep my factory metal and get some of there mags

bailagent100
02-20-2013, 12:47 AM
I bought mine about 10 months ago. I am learning to enjoy & appreciate it but...the throat is a bit short and it was pushing 168 grain and 175 grain bullets into their cases when chambering and closing the bolt. This was happening with FGMM factory ammo until a friend and I determined the throat was, indeed, too short.

The friend is a reloader & we found a recipe for a load that produced a 5 shot .192 sized group after some trial & error. I've read that a few Savage barrels have left the factory in the last year or two with this problem and until we found the load she likes I was considering sending her back to have Savage take another look at her.

I put an SWFA 5-20x50 scope on her, a Harris bipod, a Blackhawk stock/cheek pad and had Z71Rat from the hide convert an Axis/Edge factory mag into a 10 rounder for me. Just sent him another (just rec'd) Axis mag to convert, too. He does this by grafting an HK G3 mag onto the bottom of the factory mag. He's located in Meeker, Colorado, does good work & won't break the bank getting it done. Will do 10, 12, 15,17 rounders, IIRC. Do a search for his "Ratmag" products. He's got a website. Good luck with yours.

bodywerks
02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for that, they have some neat gear, after seeing that I may keep my factory metal and get some of there mags
I just emailed them about their extended mag release lever. Dan emailed me back same day with payment info. I sent payment. He confirmed and shipped the same day. Seems like a nice guy to deal with. However, email him asap, as you well have to get on his waiting list for the mags. He's out of stock right now.

motorcyclerider
02-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Got the Millet mounted and a Harris bipod. Scope ended up to high any recommandions on scope rings to get the scope as low as possible?

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/timcfuller/DSC_0163_zps8566ad3f.jpg

bodywerks
02-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Ouch those are wicked high! Any low ring will work. Burris xtr tactical low 30mm rings are the cheapest I'd go. About $50 shipped on Amazon.