PDA

View Full Version : Best stock for the money

bower4311
02-18-2013, 05:36 PM
If time isn't a factor is a from form stockade stock the best for the money? I can get the woodchuck or a thumb hole for 205 out of mold. I might be doing some hunting but weight won't be too much of an issue with a typical stock. I'll probably stay away from the tactical styles.

Should I be looking elsewhere before I buy a stockade?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Stevens M200 30-06
02-19-2013, 01:14 AM
look at boyds

seanhagerty
02-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Boyds has a good selection of drop in stocks. I cant say enough good about them. Their prices are lower than anyone else too.

Sean

wbm
02-19-2013, 10:18 AM
+3 on the Boyds! Great stocks.

jsthntn247
02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
For a 100 bucks more, the Stockade is a good deal because the Boyd's will need to be pillar bedded.

bower4311
02-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I don't care to wait for a stock.

scope eye
02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Actually I have several Boyds that I never pillar bedded, and am not anytime soon, you see I was just so anxious to get rid of that god awful Steven's 200 stock, that I bolted it on and went shooting, I couldn't wait to see how that thumbhole stock felt, and it there was any improvement as is, well there was so much difference, that I decided to leave well enough alone, then when I was installing my new Mcgowen barrel on they action, I said to myself now would be a good time to pillar bed, but just let me see what this new Mcgowan can do, well needless to say I never took it off since that day, one day when I get really bored, and feel the need to mess up something that is tried and true, in a moment of weakness I might, but I sincerely doubt it.

Tanks Dean

pdog06
02-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Is time a factor?

Stockades are excellent stocks but do have a long wait time right now. I suggest that if that is what you want then get it ordered and go buy a B&C or Boyds to use until the Stockade comes in. Then if you find you like them you can always list the Stockade here in our classifieds once you get it.

bower4311
02-19-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm 20 and have wanted a bolt action rifle for 5 years. 5 months for a stock? No problem. I have to work up some good loads anyway. I got time. And I have to work on my shooting as well.

jpdown
02-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Nothing wrong with a Boyd's. Of course, a walnut or laminated wood stock is heavier than a synthetic. The Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic might be another option. But it won't fit the newer Savage SA CF models unless you fill and move the front stock hole to the 4.40" spacing. My Stockade Hunter was worth the wait.

goinssr
02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
BOYD"S!!! Great stock, Great fit, and Great looking. The new ones are even nicer than the older ones. I have two rifles with Boyd's stocks and love them both. I am waiting for the guy in the brown truck to deliver #3 right now.

JCalhoun
02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
The best synthetic stock going is McMillan but you didn't say what your budget is.

bower4311
02-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Best stock for the money. A McMillan is around twice the cost of a Stockade money saver. Is it twice as good? I doubt it.

jsthntn247
02-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I just sold a hs precision and bought a Manners T5 to put on my 300 win mag build. I also have a Mcmillian on my f/tr rifle. Neither gun shoots better with the high dollar stocks than they did before. The McMillan also flexes more than the Hs precision. Moral of the story, unless you are being shot at and crawling around in the jungle like our military, the high dollar stuff is just a bunch of hype.

CAPTBEACH
02-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Folks I've shot with some of the best Tools the USMC could give me...I've used McMillans, H&S and a few others...my Choate Tactical is the closest thing to a Poor Mans McMillan A5 you can get...I paid $205 at Midway, and the only waiting I did was from Midways shipping dock to my door...5-6 months for a $500-750 stock that will shoot no better than a $205 stock...after some measuring I'd venture to say its 95% of McMillans ergonomics and only a few ounces more weight than their standard offering in an A5...I've stuffed a 110 308 into it with a SSS .250 recoil lug and done a thin skim bedding (which in hindsight was totally unnecessary) and it shoots .2 if I do my part...

Capt Beach

lal357
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM
thats good to know capt i'm thinking of a choate tactical for a new biuld

IA_shooter
02-24-2013, 09:02 PM
I just pulled the trigger (so to speak) on a Stocky's Long Range Varmint Laminated Thumbhole stock. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-652/Varmint-Thumbhole-Savage-10/Detail I Figure I can't go wrong for $200 shipped and see how I like it. Anyone else using this stock have any feedback?

derrelw
02-26-2013, 10:10 AM
I just pulled the trigger (so to speak) on a Stocky's Long Range Varmint Laminated Thumbhole stock. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-652/Varmint-Thumbhole-Savage-10/Detail I Figure I can't go wrong for $200 shipped and see how I like it. Anyone else using this stock have any feedback?

I am very interested in hearing how you like it. I have a Hart LRT w/ Accublock that I bought from Stockys on a Remington 700 and LOVE the stock. (I wish they made one for my Savage 11)

BTW I have ordered 2 stocks from Stocks and they both showed up 7 days after I ordered them and fit like a glove.