PDA

View Full Version : F-class for first time competitior or ? Top caliber choices?

IA_shooter
02-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm looking to get into some competitive shooting this year and I have to decide which class to try and which caliber to start with.

From what I think I know so far it looks like the F-class would be a good starting place. What do you think?

I have been really looking hard at the Savage 12 in 6 Norma BR but I'm wondering if I'm overlooking another caliber that is somewhat popular/capable that can produce decent results in the right hands with the right loads. Opinions requested.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

JASmith
02-17-2013, 10:58 PM
The logic for caliber choice is finding a good balance between wind drift and recoil. Actual drops aren't particularly important since you will have dialed in the range for the temperature and altitude already. The random nature of winds, however, continue to defy precise prediction. The best way to minimize wind drift is with a high ballistic coefficient starting out at a good clip.

I know someone who uses a 7 WSM and does reasonably well with it. He does indicate, however, that dealing with recoil results in a lot of fatigue at the end of the day. The 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Remington show well in the drift equation with somewhat less recoil.

The 6mm Norma BR is an even better balance for recoil and wind drift, but those bullets will drift more than the 6.5 and 7 mm.

Have you looked at 105 to 115 grain bullets with appropriate twist barrels in the .243 Winchester? The recoil won't be much more and the wind drift is almost competitive with the 260 Remington/6.5 Creedmoor. The price paid is a slight reduction in barrel life.

JCalhoun
02-18-2013, 12:56 PM
.260AI with 140gr Nosler or Berger BTHP bullets.

tiny68
02-20-2013, 01:57 AM
FClass has 2 division: FT/R - which is limited to 223 and 308W with a weight limit of 18.18 lbs including the front bipod and F-Open which allows anything under a 350 caliber and has a weight limit of 22 lbs with any optic. The front rest is not included in the gun weight in F/Open. Lot of questions to ask.
1. Do you reload?
2. What is your budget?
3. Do you have optics already?

F/TR is the class I would suggest you start with. That means a 223 or 308W. If you only have to shoot in F/Class event with 500 or less ranges, then pick up a 223. If you have to go 600, 800 or 1000 yards then the 308W would be a ballistic winner. Keep in mind you are lying down and shooting 66-70 shots with the sighters. Some people that are recoil sensitive want no part of 60+ rounds with a 308W in a short time span.

F/Open will have the best equipment money can buy. You most rigs cost in excess of $4-5k with the optics included. I would suggest you go to a match and watch and asked questions before you make a purchase. That way you have a better idea of what will work best for you. Most shooters will gladly help out anyone interested in their sport. Besides - it gives another warm body to mark targets....

Tim

IA_shooter
02-20-2013, 06:04 PM
I have decided to do a build off of my Savage 16 .243 for F-class Open.

It looks like I'll have to order and wait for the barrel, I can't find anything I want for sale right now that I want. I plan on getting a Brux or Shilen 28" SS 1 in 8 twist.

I've been looking for a stock as well but can't find anything I want/like so I may order a "Dogtracker" from SSS.

I haven't looked much yet but I'm going to try and find a nice tripod front rest as well.

I'm going to try and find a good deal on a used Sightron SIII 8-32 scope with fine crosshairs for the gun.

Not sure if I can get it, but I'd like to get a factory Savage target accu-trigger for it as well. I was on hold for over 15 minutes trying to get thru to Savage yesterday and finally hung up. :mad:

I'm just getting set up for reloading and I have almost everything I need to roll out 300-400 rounds so far.

I'm sure I'll update peridically as I get components for the build and maybe post a few pics. :cool: