PDA

View Full Version : hunting The smallest varmints.

Tightgroups
01-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Now, im old and cant get out and crawl up and down the hills much anymore. But I did find a new way to hunt small varmints. Have you ever shot flies sitting on your target at 100 yds? Its great, you get more action if you step in something first, >:( so you can dig a little out of your waffle stampers with a stick, and smear a little on the target, out in the summer sun. It wont take long, and youll have plenty of game. I use my 6MMBR, but that might be a little overkill, so next summer ill try the 22BR, that should do the trick. If you get a good direct hit, it can leave a few legs and maybe even part of a wing stock on the side of the bullet hole. ;D
And there's no licence required in this State yet, :'((Calif.) or bag limit.
If you can shoot in the .2 or .3 you should do well, ho yaw you need at least a 24 + power scope. ;)
I cant have discovered this new sport myself, so have any of you guys been doing this, and just not telling anyone about it? ::)
Mike.

cutter37372
01-14-2010, 09:14 PM
WOW !!
Sounds like too much fun. Oh wait, no such thing as too much fun!

savage308
01-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Bored one hot afternoon at the gun range and notice flies landing on my target,killed a couple at 100yards you could see a splat of fly guts around the bullet hole.

Tightgroups
01-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Man, that must have been cool, with a 308, it makes a big hole, do you have big flies?. I wonder if this is where the name bug hole came from. lmao.
Mike.

savage308
01-14-2010, 10:12 PM
No It was a bvss 223 shooting 55gr V-max and Tac powder even saved the targets.Thanks Dave

Tightgroups
01-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Well from now on, im only going for head shots. I dont want them to suffer. ;D
Mike.

82boy
01-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Take a bottle of Coke with you out to the range shake it up and spray it on the target, the little guys come a running to it, when it dries.

Tightgroups
01-16-2010, 09:56 PM
I knew I wasn't the first to do this.
Mike.

bythebook
01-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I knew I wasn't the first to do this.
Mike.

+1 with a Ruger 204 in a 77VT. at 100 yds.

Tightgroups
01-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Another oddity at the range. (Not that shooting flies is odd, but). One day several of us were punching paper @ 100, the back board is a 4X8 sheet of plywood in a steel angle iron frame, sort of the standard setup. And my targets were about 3ft from where a small bird decided to land on the top of the frame, so I waited for a min or so, then thought, im shooting in the .3s on this day, so the bird is quite safe. So I fired one more round, and the bird immediately flew down to the ground and never moved.
The guy shooting next to me said, "you shot that bird", and I replied, no I didn't. But it still didn't move. So the next time the range was down,(about 10 min later) we both walked out to look at the now dead bird, with not one feather ruffled.
What we both think happened is, when my bullet passed 3' away from the bird, the shock wave (or sound) gave the bird a heart attack and it dropped dead. My 6BR bullet hit the center of my target. If I had hit the bird, (and I could have if I had wanted to), there would have been bird parts flying in all directions.
Any of you guys have odd stories? Go ahead, its my thread, and im bored, can you tell?
John Q Modern. ;D

joeydasniper
03-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Had the same thing happen to me. My son shot past a small bird with a .204 Ruger and it fell over dead. The only sign of trauma was bleeding from the small nose holes in beaks.

Bad Water Bill
03-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Pat has the right idea with the coke.

ANT MOA :)

lots more targets and just might save your lunch if you shoot fast enough

Titan1
05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Tightgroups, Do you get more points for shooting a deerfly than you would a blowfly or a horsefly?

pdog06
05-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I know this thread is a little old, but it made me laugh cause I sat behind the gun at the range on Sunday just waiting for a fly to land. Everytime I eyed up the target it would be in my sight picture, but it would never land. I have no proof whether I shot him while he was flyin or not, so I cant claim it.

EfBell and pahog have a good story to tell from recently. maybe they'll chime in...LOL

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Mile Pat told you what to do. Did you pay attention?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :) :)

pdog06
05-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Mile Pat told you what to do. Did you pay attention?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :) :)

DIdnt have any Soda on hand...LOL

borg
05-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Is someone going to post a picture of a target with little wings and fly guts on it already, or is this thread just going to sit here attempting to be awesome and never quite make it?