PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Problems

13Point
01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
I was just wondering if the Bell and Carlson Medalist or the HS Precision stocks have the same alignment issues as the Bell and Carlson Duramaxx? I'm looking for a replacement for my Model 10 with the older 4.25 hole spacing.

Tightgroups
01-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Its your lucky day, I have both stocks. Both have an aluminum bedding chassis, but the H-S chassis is much more involved, longer, stronger, etc. Its a far better stock, but also costs over twice as much. I think I got the first Medalist made, and its a good stock, and I only payed $100. for it new. My H-S is the A-25 Mod. I think, its the one that comes on there 2000 HTR 308 (heavy tactical rifle) with all the bells and whistles, adjustable LOP and cheek, and its a good one all right, I think the best, but they run around $550. a copy.
Mike.

13Point
01-15-2010, 06:30 PM
I ordered a HS Precision. I hope it will be a good fit.

Tightgroups
01-15-2010, 11:07 PM
That's a premium stock, if you gave them all the info, like action Mod. barrel profile etc, and they ship it, it will fit like a glove. No bedding required, and they may recommend torquing the screws down.
Mike.

~Ace~
01-16-2010, 10:09 AM
It will still need Bedded to get the most out of it....

Tightgroups
01-19-2010, 03:44 AM
Ace: I would beg to differ with you on that point, the H-S HTR stock has a full length aluminum bedding chassis, and bedding is not required or recommended. Depending on what your mounting in it, you might want to bed the recoil lug only, but not the action. I have had an H-S Precision HTR 2000 in 308 for 5 years now, and it came with a torque wrench for the stock set at 52 in lbs,(I think) and thats all you need. It shoots in the .2 and .3s all day long, even on its first clean cold barrel shot. (a must for a real sniper rifle)
On my B&C Medalist with an aluminum bedding chassis, I just use the H-S torque wrench on it, its on my 22BR, and with no problems, but I did bed its recoil lug. On all my wood and laminated stocks, I do bed the action and lug.
Mike.

~Ace~
01-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Like I said... to get the most out of it it will need bedded. Look at the dif between the stock recoil lugs, target recoil lugs, SSS, NSS. To tell someone a stock will fit like a glove, with no bedding and no inletting needed is careless... There are way to many variables in the production process of the weapon and the stock. A True Drop in is a rare find in my experience, unless your just tossing a deer rifle together. Whether you you Bed, Skim bed, bed the recoil lug.. your still bedding... and most often removing material before you do so. When you remove any material to insure the tang is free floated, your Inletting. I Stand by what I said, to get the most of it, you will bed it. Even with a HS Lon Horiuchi special.

13Point
01-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Guys, I didn't mean to start a fight. I didn't say this is for my Muzzleloader either. I have to get some longer action screws and modify the lengths. The stock seems to fit pretty good. I will float the tang & skim bed the action. Since this is a Muzzleloader I'm not going to do anything in front of the recoil lug. If I can get all this together it will be a good looking rifle. Stainless action and barrel with a tan w/black web stock.