PDA

View Full Version : 308 "scout" build left handed

missed
02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Well I do love my fkcp-k I do want a shorter range quicker handling lighter gun. I am thinking about buying a trophy hunter in .308 and having the barrel shortened and threaded for front sight/brake/flash reducer, and same thread as common suppressors. I would like to have tritium steel night sights and a 3-9x scope. I was thinking about the CDI bottom metal and using the accu stock off my flcpk since it will be getting a varmint tactical stock. I have not decided on barrel length yet, I'm leaning to 16.25". What do y'all think? I would just grab a Stevens but no lefty.

missed
02-17-2013, 01:36 PM
My other thought is to buy another flcpk and then just get a sporter or lighter varmint barrel and have it cut and threaded. Hmmm what to do? Also what is a good source for take off barrels? I'm good with a factory barrel for this build.

GaryB
02-17-2013, 02:59 PM
I would try here first...
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?7375-Savage-Barrels-Factory-New-Unfired-Updated-1-10-13

Call him! Great to deal with. I called right after lunch and got right thru.

Good luck
Gary

squirrel_slayer
02-17-2013, 11:58 PM
are you planning on running the optic forward of the action like a true scout? if so I think a 2-7 optic may be more appropriate. you can still shoot both eye's open @ 2x without to much difficulty but 3x starts crossing your eye's(for me at least)

ellobo
02-18-2013, 01:01 AM
I used a custom commercial mauser actioned rifle with an 18 1/2 barrel for many years. My only problem with it was the muzzleblast in low light. Kinda blinds ya for a second shot. Woodland heavy cover. Short shots here are no worry for loss of velocity. 7x57 with 154 or 160 gr. bullets. Handy in hills and woods. It was made by an old Danish gunsmith as over there they only have mountians to hunt in and lightness is appreciated. Only problem was his son drilled and tapped for a telesopic sight right through a giant gold rose on the reciever ring.

El Lobo

missed
02-18-2013, 08:27 AM
I was thinking about mounting the optics forward like the scout guns. I would like the 2-7 or a 1-4 scope but I think I'm going to still want steel sights also.

Flash reducer is definitely going to be needed with the short barrel.

big honkin jeep
02-18-2013, 02:29 PM
The factory sporters seem plenty heavy enough when cut down as you are removing the thinnest portion of the barrel. I guess something like my last project is sorta what you have in mind. This one started as an older flatback model 11 GL in .243 http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/f7bb2b33_zps191f1868.jpg
I converted a right handed detachacle box mag stock to lefty cut a couple of inches off the butt and re contoured the recoil pad and bedded it, Tuned the trigger, Installed a bolt lift kit, had a takeoff sporter barrel in .308 cut to 16" crowned threaded and braked. I had no desire for iron sights on this one so it has an EGW mount with a Vortex viper 3-9x40. It's 37" overall with the brake and handles and shoots like a dream. I built it out of a desire to have an easy to carry point and shoot lightweight knockaround grab n go rifle. I will be looking for a Leupold ultralight in the near future because the Vortex Viper was just something I had laying around that would allow me to go shoot it. I love the result

I wouldn't overlook the older flatbacks as an option and they are very economical to build.
Here are some better pics with a different set of rings and bases
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/100_1387_zpsfdd98c3f.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/100_1388_zpscb193db9.jpg

squirrel_slayer
02-18-2013, 02:48 PM
given the information you have presented I think a youth lh .308 model 10 would be a good starting platform(shorter LOP) you could use the pre-tapped holes for the iron sights to mount the forward part of the rail (with a custom wedge to match the taper of the barrel) the rear part of the rail would mount on the front scope base location then you could have a dovetailed mount made for the rear scope base location, chop the barrel have it threaded and have a flash hider/brake made/modified to have a dovetail cut into it as well that way you could buy off the shelf tritium sights for a handgun. put the scope in a quick disconnect mount like a larue and your off to the races.

missed
02-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I will have to look into the youth 10, I'm going back and forth on the iron sights, by the time i spend the money on them I can spend the $ on the glass. It would be nice to get an accustock also. I wouldn't mind an old flat back as long as I can get an accu trigger for it. And something that the cdi bottom metal can be added later. I'm going to look what vortex Scopes would work too.

missed
02-18-2013, 04:14 PM
The viper pst 2.5-10x44 is looking mighty tempting and ditch the iron sights...

squirrel_slayer
02-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Remember you need an extended eye relief or pistol scope if your going to run it forward of the action.

missed
02-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Remember you need an extended eye relief or pistol scope if your going to run it forward of the action.

Yeah and I'm not finding anything in my liking. Hmmm red dot it m might be.

missed
02-18-2013, 05:38 PM
It looks like the 11 trophy Hunters are the only left hand ones with the stainless 16 and wood stock blued 14.

I may just get one and sell the scope and find an accu stock. I wonder if the stock dbm out of my 10 will work too. And get the red dot

squirrel_slayer
02-19-2013, 02:11 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20035-Savage-scout-rifle-7-08
great starter platform from the looks of it. at least lets you know that williams makes a rear sight system

missed
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah that would have been if the bolt was on the right side !