PDA

View Full Version : my new barrel

Westcliffe01
02-16-2013, 10:13 PM
I just got my Shilen 1:8 varmint barrel in 243AI and today got the head space gauge from Mansonreamers.com... They seem to be the only company that not only makes Ackley head space gauges, but actually has them in stock. Now have to get the scope rail off, then the old barrel off... Hope to get it installed tomorrow.

I have a Savage 12 LPV with the varmint fluted 26" 1:9.25 barrel. I was maxed out at the 95gr SST, the 95 gr Bergers didn't group well. I decided on the 1:8 barrel and an Ackley chamber to allow for a bit more powder capacity for those heavy bullets. Northland Shooters Supply had the barrel, nut and thick recoil lug in stock, as well as an action and barrel nut wrench. So from here on out I can do all my own Savage barrel swaps. It can be tough getting NSS on the phone, its just a 2 person operation. You can basically forget about email.... But once I did get Jim on the phone, he had my package delivered to my door by the following evening.

I have a bunch of 95gr Berger VLD's for general work, and then I will start working on some 105 Match Hybrids. I am using the 95gr 243 as my general purpose coyote load (great for windy conditions and so superior to the 55gr Vmax bullets I started with in my 223....) and I figure the 105 grain hybrids should be good for wolves too.

stmcelroy
02-16-2013, 10:31 PM
I just got my Shilen 1:8 varmint barrel in 243AI and today got the head space gauge from Mansonreamers.com... They seem to be the only company that not only makes Ackley head space gauges, but actually has them in stock. Now have to get the scope rail off, then the old barrel off... Hope to get it installed tomorrow.

I have a Savage 12 LPV with the varmint fluted 26" 1:9.25 barrel. I was maxed out at the 95gr SST, the 95 gr Bergers didn't group well. I decided on the 1:8 barrel and an Ackley chamber to allow for a bit more powder capacity for those heavy bullets. Northland Shooters Supply had the barrel, nut and thick recoil lug in stock, as well as an action and barrel nut wrench. So from here on out I can do all my own Savage barrel swaps. It can be tough getting NSS on the phone, its just a 2 person operation. You can basically forget about email.... But once I did get Jim on the phone, he had my package delivered to my door by the following evening.

I have a bunch of 95gr Berger VLD's for general work, and then I will start working on some 105 Match Hybrids. I am using the 95gr 243 as my general purpose coyote load (great for windy conditions and so superior to the 55gr Vmax bullets I started with in my 223....) and I figure the 105 grain hybrids should be good for wolves too.

A 1:8 would allow me to shoot 115gr DTAC's. I've e-mailed Jim numerous times and never got a reply, guess I'll have to try calling.

What did the barrel and all stuff end up running?

Westcliffe01
02-16-2013, 11:38 PM
It seems that a 1:8 "might" be Ok for the 115, but reading the 6mmbr web page it sounds like the guys are running well over 3000fps with them, that sounds like an awfully hot load... I know that Berger says a 1:8 is not OK for 115 VLD's (they recommend 1:7.5 or 1:7)

For the whole package (barrel+barrel nut + recoil lug+action wrench + barrel nut wrench + UPS) it was just over $500.

Perhaps the secret is that they seat the bullets long and also increase the length of the throat ?

pdog06
02-17-2013, 09:33 AM
I separated these few posts out of another thread because you hijacked the guys thread. These posts had nothing at all to do with what the other original poster was talking about, so i just made you your own topic of discussion.

Westcliffe01
02-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Well, I have to say, the barrel swap is now complete and it was a LOT easier than I expected. I think the fact that the NSS action wrench uses the front action screw to provide anti rotation support is a stroke of genius. I was expecting a battle to get the old nut off, but it was really no problem.

I was very careful with setting the headspace and it is amazingly sensitive. It closes easy on the "go" gauge, but if I slip a single piece of paper behind the gauge it will no longer close. I did want the headspace as close to Min spec as possible since I will be fireforming my own brass and I don't want any stretch. The whole point of an Ackley chamber is for running hotter loads.

I don't know how Shilen handles the throat length in their select match barrels. I note the Berger manual makes note of the benefits of seating the bullets long, provided the throat is appropriately lengthened and you have no feed issues. I suppose I will find this out pretty soon.

I have to open up the inletting for the recoil lug since it is the beefier version and doesn't fit in the original slot. Perhaps time to do a full bedding job in fact, so that is the only delay in getting ready for the range.