PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Anybody hunt crows with their 17 hmr ??

tammons
01-14-2010, 07:49 PM
I have been plinking at them at my parents farm with a 22LR Mk II, but crows are cagy and fly if you get too close.
Thinking a 17hmr might be better.

They have a spot where they land on the ground in a feild a lot, so I try to pick them off there, but its usually a 100+ yards so its a difficult shot with a 22LR.

Made me laugh at the supposed head shots at 200 yds with a 22LR by Mark Walberg in the movie Sniper

Got some feathers the other day but thats about all so far.
Also I am thinking a 17hmr bullet should blow up ?? rather than ricochet like a 22LR so it should be safer.

Mad Dog
01-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Was talking with one of the guys that works at my local gunshop today and he was saying that his 17 will make a crow into nothing but some floating feathers after a shot out of his. He said it'll shoot accurately but wind will throw off the little bullet a bit.

I haven't finished my 93R17 yet. I finished the stock last night, waiting for the 72 hour dry time and then bedding it with a Bedrock glass kit I got at the shop today. Should be done by the end of the month. Just finishing a Boyds Evolution stock for it in the Bumblebee laminate.

Blue Avenger
01-14-2010, 08:55 PM
the crow is an intelligent bird deserving of proper euthanasia. .220 Swift's must be used at 300 yards

stevec
01-14-2010, 10:19 PM
I have puffed crows up at about 150yds with my savage 93 in 17hmr. I had no idea that they could swell up that much before they come apart!
Wind is a big factor for a 17 but if you can get on them it will do the job! Plus its a lot of fun!

Steve

bgc
01-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Shot crow with the .17 makes a mess quick.

Talntedmrgreen
01-21-2010, 09:37 PM
My 93R17BVSS is my sole crow hunting gun. I used it primarily for squirrel, but after a few opportunities to try it on the birds, I began pursuing them. Now Feb. 1st in Michigan is another one of my favorite holidays! By then, I've snow shoed enough area to know where all or most of the dumped deer carcasses and lost animals from the previous deer seasons are, and that's where I set up for crow. Most of these spots, the birds are like clockwork, until you get a few and they wise up, which they always do.

I like to call as well, and use a crow decoy and a real squirrel (if I've been fortunate enough to pick one off) or my MoJo in open areas. The .17 gets me away from the decoys and shots are typically taken when the birds hang up in trees nearby. 100 yards is common, sometimes they're right in your lap, other times, they stay out farther.

My best kill shot was 197 yards (just a bit too close for the rangefinder to give me that 200), and I've drawn feathers probably 6 or 7 more times at that range. My closest was 82 yards. It is very difficult to get close to these guys, even in 98% camo and a wrapped gun. I may even try in the double bull this year.

It's fun and difficult, and the .17HMR is perfect for it. I have not noticed any sort of extreme damage or explosion of these guys with the 17gr. poly's.

The wind will determine how far you can throw one of these pellets at a crow, especially if you're shooting up over the tree tops, where the wind may have a stronger effect. I can't wait for the chance to pop a few with my new Model 12 .204, but will be waiting for a shot on the ground...