PDA

View Full Version : RCBS® AmmoMaster Chronograph?

brasse
02-17-2013, 01:33 AM
Anyone use the RCBS® AmmoMaster Chronograph?

I was originally put off by the plastic parts, but if it works who cares. What I was attracted to was the detachable keypad display. Where I shoot it is a public shooting range, only see one person with a chrono in over 3 years shooting there.

I can have the display at the shooting bench and write down the numbers, and have a camera tripod to mount it.

jibben
02-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Find out who makes it and you will get a better price, unless the plastic is what lower the price point.

brasse
02-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Sorry I do not understand your post.

I was looking for an honest review of the chronograph.

jibben
02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Sigh.. find out who makes it... that should not be hard to understand. Once you know who makes it you can get a broader look as to quality. Pact makes there scales. OK Sorry, now I see! Your not aware some one make it for them.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/rcbs-ammomaster-chronograph/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0M7pNkfaNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9SWQgGIToI

The statements and opinions expressed within Customer Reviews reflect each author's personal perspective and do not imply endorsement by MidwayUSA, its Employees or any other organization. Customers should in no way infer that MidwayUSA has validated review information as safe, accurate or appropriate.
I planned on doing a ...

I planned on doing a detailed review, but I have had no problems at all. I have had 100% reads in all conditions. It is very easy to use, but it eats batteries like crazy. I've tested 6-7.62mm so I can't say it would read the really skinny .22 VLD's or not, but it looks like a very promising chronograph for the money. I know people think it looks funny, but it's nice to have everything in one place. I would definitely recommend this product. One more thing. The strings are only 10 shots long and you can't combine the strings for a real heavy statistical analysis. If you want 20 shot strings for significant stats I guess you'll have to do the math yourself. That's the only downside.

I bought one without reading the reviews or researching it and now I wish I would have. It works fine for a hobbyist just to tinker around with but for he price I should have bought a shooting chrony or waited and bought a CED. I've had it less than a year and in the summer with above freezing temps its fine although like others have said a little flimsy. I do like that it all breaks down into the unit itself but the sensors are really sensitive to the height over them to how it registers, if you don't shoot at very close to the same spot everytime you can have wild swings in fps. This kills batteries quickly as well, I keep at least one extra 9v with me everytime I go to the range and usually have to change them during my testing. Lastly, if you live anywhere that the temp falls below 40 degrees Fahrenheit get something else. The sensors won't pick up anything unless you shoot 1-2 inches over th top of the sensor itself. Batteries at this temperature last 1-2 strings of shot quickly then back in the pocket they go to warm up. I even had to unplug and plug them back in to get a boost for it to work.

The whole thing falls to pieces in the wind. I would not buy this again. The programming for the display is also difficult to use.

Very flimsy. Worked the first two times I took it out and now it won't even turn on even with a new battery. I'm going back to the Competition Electronics.

I bought this and was very excited about it. It turned on and worked for me. Everything seemed to be doing fine. And then a 2-4 mph wind blew and the entire thing fell apart. All the way to the ground and then into individual pieces. I returned it and bought something else in its place. Do yourself a favor and buy something better

Wouldn't even turn on. 9v got hot while reading instructions again to try to troubleshoot. 2nd new 9v and still didn't turn on. Total junk. Flimsy. Seriously wasted my time, and I have so little free time.

I got it home and put it together on a tripod, hooked everything up and the display would not come up and the battery got hot. The 2nd one works great and whole lot better than the old Beta Chrono that I have used for years. I assume my 1st one was just a fluke, I do wish that it would upload to my laptop.

Seemed to work okay even on a cloudy day but it's made of flimsy plastic and didn't make it through one range session.

Travis
5/6/2011 11:57:21 AM

I bought one, drove 50 miles to a range, spent 45 minutes setting up all my shooting gear and positioning the chrono, sighed with relief that it was finally all ready to go and . . . it wouldn't even turn on. Went to swap out the brand new 9v for another brand new 9v and found it was hot! New 9v didn't work either. Had to drive an extra 100 miles round-trip to return it. Pretty much wasted my only day off. I'll never buy an RCBS product again.
Jonathan
1/13/2011 6:16:19 PM

The RCBS ammomaster is a complete and total piece of junk! Sent my Ammomaster back to them for repair replacement as it no longer turned on after only 8 trips to the range for me. I get the new one today and it doesnt turn on either! All batteries put out over 9 volts. You can bet i have steam coming out of my ears! $150 for a plastic piece that rarely ever works! DO NOT BUY ONE!

http://www.biggamehunt.net/forum/chronograph-reccomendations

Savage22-250
02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
I've had this one for 6-8 years and it works fine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph

It even took a bullet to one of the the rods that holds the diffusers and was none the worse for wear. It's had no problem picking up 17 cal bullets going 4100fps or 6mm air soft bbs going 200fps. I'd strongly recommend it.

brasse
02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
RCBS normally makes quality reloading equipment. But every review on Midway was bad. I just wanted to see if anyone here had problems.

Today at the range the wind was 12-15 with gusts to 25.7 mph. Sighting in my Savage Creedmoor but I can imagine what the wind would do to the RCBS, it would probably get up and fly!

Savage22-250
02-17-2013, 06:45 PM
I agree RCBS stuff is usually very good. I've even looked at that chromo cuz mine splits time between my house and my dads. Thought I'd get a new one and give him the old one. After reading those reviews I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot poll. The one I linked too has given me no trouble and is priced right.

justin1098
02-17-2013, 10:48 PM
check out magnetospeed. It's more expensive but way better to use than optical cronographs.