PDA

View Full Version : A different barrel nut size?

nocturnalnasty
02-16-2013, 12:04 PM
This may be a dumb question, but I have searched and had no luck finding a post or thread that addresses my question. I have a Stevens 200 long action/round back that my barrel nut wrench (SSS brand) will not fit. I have been switching Savage barrels on both large and small shanks for a few years now and have never come across one of the nuts that are a slightly larger diameter than the "standard size" nuts. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
John

scope eye
02-16-2013, 12:12 PM
I have never heard of this situation, but as far as I would do, I would remove it with pliers or Vise grips or even a pipe wrench, and replace it with a standard size barrel nut, as I get older and grumpier, I have less and less tolerance for things that annoy me.

Tanks Dean

short round
02-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Measured a barrel nut O.D. 1.297''. Check wrench for burrs & high spots, it may need to be deburred. Also teeth that fit into nut may need trimmed.

scope eye
02-16-2013, 04:46 PM
If you can't figure it out, or just don't want to be bothered, and want a barrel nut pm me your info, and I will send you one.

Dean

nocturnalnasty
02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
I used a pipe wrench to take it off. Ended up being three of the teeth on my wrench were blurred. I filed them and now it is good to go. Thank for all of your help.
John

nocturnalnasty
02-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks scope eye for the offer, I really appreciate your help.

scope eye
02-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Anytime that's what this forum is all about.

Tanks Dean