PDA

View Full Version : Stocks for Savage Hog Hunter .308

DeyTookOurJerbz
02-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Hey fellas,

I'm sure this has been covered at some point but I recently picked up my first Savage.
Got a Hog Hunter in .308, I'm not the biggest fan of the factory stock but I'm having trouble finding aftermarket ones!

Can someone help by referring me to a site I can find aftermarket stocks for the Hog Hunter?

Thanks in advance!

rjtfroggy
02-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Stocky's stocks they are sponsors here and seel a variety of stocks. Just click on their banner.

bootsmcguire
02-15-2013, 07:07 PM
All you need is a stock for a Savage Short Action Centerfeed (it has the 4.40" screw spacing). You do not have to find one listed specifically for the hog hunter, if that is how you are seaching. I only mention as it seems to be a common mistake that people seach for a stock for their specific model rather than the action type.

Stockys is a good place to start. I would also suggest Boyds if are looking for a laminate or wood. They are also a site sponsor and cheaper on the laminate prices.

pdog2062
02-15-2013, 07:44 PM
boyds has an excellent selection of stocks for your savage.I have a varmint thumbhole on my 223 hoghunter as well as model 10 and 12.very happy with them

DeyTookOurJerbz
02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
All you need is a stock for a Savage Short Action Centerfeed (it has the 4.40" screw spacing). You do not have to find one listed specifically for the hog hunter, if that is how you are seaching. I only mention as it seems to be a common mistake that people seach for a stock for their specific model rather than the action type.

Stockys is a good place to start. I would also suggest Boyds if are looking for a laminate or wood. They are also a site sponsor and cheaper on the laminate prices.

Thanks for the information!

This is my first savage so I'm still learning about it as I go!
So far I love it!

JCalhoun
02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Welcome to Savage land.

CCWHusker
03-31-2013, 08:33 AM
I've had a couple of savages. I currently have a Hog Hunter set up as the M-81 PMSWS (Poor Man's Sniper Weapon System). The info on the action is good stuff. However, what if a guy wanted to go from a blind mag to a detachable box with the Hog hunter?

JCalhoun
03-31-2013, 11:57 AM
I think Sharp Shooter Supply has something that would work.

CharlieNC
04-01-2013, 05:36 PM
I recently received Choate Tactical with DBM as a package deal from CDI; they will get the stock and inlet it for the bottom metal for a better price than you can do alone. Using it on 223 HogHunter and 308 that was built from scratch (or any other short action cal for that matter). Had a little trouble finding the AICS mags, but finally got both for the 223 and 308. Sweet rig so far!

cyclic
04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
My Hog Hunter.....................................

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/3429/savagehoghunter.jpg

Surplus Accustock, cut down lug to fit, CDI bottom metal for AICS type magazines, EGW scope base, Nightforce scope rings (only because I already had them), and a Burris 3.5-10x 30mm mil-dot scope.

The CDI bottom metal drop right into a Savage inlet. Its what Savage uses for the SR series rifles.

fenucho
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Is the Hog Hunter barrel profile the same as the standard sporter barrel?

CCWHusker
04-06-2013, 09:28 AM
It is not. The factory literature says it is a medium contour. I've seen write ups that say it is a Varmint barrel. While not a straight wall full on bull... It is beefy, much more stout than the sporter. Go shoot one. You'll love it.

cyclic
04-06-2013, 09:32 AM
The channel on my stock was opened up by the previous owner, easy to do. I absolutely LOVE the Hog Hunter. it's accuracy far exceeds it price.

fenucho
04-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I just switched from the sporter barrel to a Savage Varmint barrel in 308 and bought a Boyd's thumbhole.

If the Hog barrel was the same profile, I probably would have keep the Stocky's laminate stock for another build.

Since I like the heavier barrels, I'll probably sell this one and get another Varmint thumbhole stock for a Hog build.

Thanks for the answer.