PDA

View Full Version : stock help

oldtimer48
01-14-2010, 03:46 PM
i have a 110 center feed plastic stock and i just bought a 110 wood stock the bolt hole spacing looks the same so far no problem. my gun is a long action center feed with a internal mag, the wood stock was from a stagger feed. what modifications do i need to make to the wood stock to make it work properly with the center feed action and barrel? the rifle looks like it will set right in the wood stock, i just held off on putting any of the screws in or even swapping the mag from the plastic stock to the wood stock, the wood stock appears to have the 2 aluminum pillars already in there as the plastic stock does.

jpdown
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Congratulations. The stock hole spacing (5") on the Savage LA did not change with the move from stagger feed to center feed. The wood stock from a LA stagger feed will work with a LA center feed. The old stagger feed magazines were attached to the action. So the magazine well may be a bit oversized on the stagger feed stock. I used a business card for a spacer and taped the CF magazine to the action in the correct position. Next, I put a small ball of epoxy putty in each corner of the stock's magazine well. Don't forget to put release agent (I use clear shoe polish) on the bottom and sides of the metal magazine. Put the action and stock together and tightened the action bolts. The epoxy putty will harden quickly in the stock to form a correctly positioned base for the CF magazine. Some Velcro strips on the front, back or sides of the magazine with tightly hold it in place when loading and with recoil.

oldtimer48
01-14-2010, 07:48 PM
thanks jp for getting back with me on this and yes the hole is a lot bigger in the stagger feed mag bog. i am a plumber by trade and i believe i may have some epoxy putty on my truck and i,m sure i have some kiwi clear shoe shine polish both great ideas. do i need to dremel anything where the L shape bracket fastens yo the mag box and runs back towards the rear pillar, the plastic is recessed in that area for the L bracket just in front and along the sides of that pillar? also how will i know what elevation to set the mag and there seems to be a little recess in the bottom of the mag pocket for the mag spring. thanks john

oldtimer48
01-14-2010, 09:52 PM
i apologize for all the questions it is the first time going about this, the business card does that fit between the bolt and top of the mag?

jpdown
01-15-2010, 08:52 PM
thanks jp for getting back with me on this and yes the hole is a lot bigger in the stagger feed mag bog. i am a plumber by trade and i believe i may have some epoxy putty on my truck and i,m sure i have some kiwi clear shoe shine polish both great ideas. do i need to dremel anything where the L shape bracket fastens yo the mag box and runs back towards the rear pillar, the plastic is recessed in that area for the L bracket just in front and along the sides of that pillar? also how will i know what elevation to set the mag and there seems to be a little recess in the bottom of the mag pocket for the mag spring. thanks john

The only purpose of the business card is to put a space between the bolt and magazine box when you bed it in the putty. My reasoning is that you don't want the magazine lips touching the bolt and creating a possible stress point that could impact accuracy, or drag on the bolt. Sounds like your magazine box is tight height wise. You may have to bend the magazine lips outward slightly so they don't hit the bolt. I did away with the L clip. IMO, it is a bad design that has the potentail to create a variable stress point on the action. The Velcro strips holding the magazine firmly in place. I took a dremel tool and sanded away any putty remaining on the inside of the magazine box. This allows the follower and leaf spring to work smoothly inside the magazine box.

oldtimer48
01-15-2010, 11:44 PM
JP thanks again for getting back with me on this and thanks for taking your time writing. however i messed up i went to 3 places to find the devcon 10110 plastic putty to no avail so i bought some of the epoxy putty that is a liquid in a squeeze tube what a mess! i used plenty of the kiwi shoe polish any way i had the spring assembly in the mag and it is now a per manate fixture inside the stock, so i went ahead and used the plumbers epoxy putty that resembles putty and filled the areas between the box and the out side of the mag. i did assume right about the business card between the bolt and the top of the mag, thanks for that tip, I'm going to let it sit over night and unbolt it remove the card and try the bolt and cycle it. thanks again john