PDA

View Full Version : 220 Swift in a long action mag problems..... Need advice

RyanG
02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Hello all.... I know that you must be getting tired of all my questions on this Swift build. BUT.....

So I couldnt find a short action anywhere around so I put it together using a 110 270.... Got it all finished today and went to test shoot it. It shot great with no issues in headspace or unloading..... Very pleased with that...

The problem I am having is loading the 270 box mag with more than one round. They get fouled up and will not load. So my question is: Do I have to put up with just 2 rounds in the rifle? or can I get an older 243 box mag from a 110? I am guessing that the 270 box is just too wide and will not hold the shells tight enough.... Am I right here?

Thanks again for all the help.... I am learning and wont have so many questions on the next one I promise.

Ryan

JCalhoun
02-14-2013, 10:50 PM
The .220 Swift should work with the long action. Maybe you can tweak the lips on the mag a little bit?

I don't recall seeing a magazine specifically for a .220 Swift. Maybe there is?

BillPa
02-14-2013, 11:03 PM
The problem I am having is loading the 270 box mag with more than one round. They get fouled up and will not load.

Thanks again for all the help.... I am learning and wont have so many questions on the next one I promise.

Ryan

Ryan, we're all learning!!

Can you explain what's happening in a little more detail? Does the second cartridge follow the first one out?

Bill

RyanG
02-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Bill,

Yes sir it does. They dont lay flat... if that makes any sense.... I removed the mag and turned the lips in a little and moved the rounds forward in the mag box.... they now lay flat and seem to load ok..... I just have to make sure that they are not at the back of the mag...

BillPa
02-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Bill,

Yes sir it does. They dont lay flat... if that makes any sense.... I removed the mag and turned the lips in a little and moved the rounds forward in the mag box.... they now lay flat and seem to load ok..... I just have to make sure that they are not at the back of the mag...

It seems your on the right track with the feed lips. You may have to adjust them a bit more.

Along with the lips also try reducing the follower spring tension. You only need enough to move a cartridge up into position so the bolt can pick it up and "push" it smoothly out of the magazine. Too much also seems to force them out of position.

Its why I made this piece of Hi-Tech gadgetry.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2me5q4g.jpg

It allows me to see what's happening and make any adjustments without having the mag on the action.

I don't know if this helps, but may give you a few ideas to try.

Bill