PDA

View Full Version : Adding pillers

Monkeymaster
02-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Just bought a Bell and Carlson Carbelite classic stock.
If I deceide to install pillers, is there a thread on this site as the how too ?
Thanks

J.Baker
02-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Not that difficult.....

1. Measure the diameter of the pillars you buy.
2. Drill out screw holes in stock to appropriate size to accept new pillars.
3. Test fit pillars and shape/trim length as needed
4. Coat inside of holes and outside of pillars with a good 2-part epoxy
5. Install pillars into stock. making sure top of pillar is flush with the top of the screw hole in the stock.
6. Allow epoxy to dry per manufacturers instructions.

davemuzz
02-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Here's a link with pic's.

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

Now, a couple of things:

1) I do use the Davcon (peanut butter consistency) and find it works great
2) I use Kiwi shoe polish for a release agent. Works great. BUT use the "neutral" color so you don't end up with brown, black, or purple on something you don't want brown, black, or purple!!!
3) This article shows the bedding the tang. I NEVER bed a Savage tang. And I NEVER bed the barrel nut, nor under the recoil lug nor the sides of the recoil lug. Just the back. In fact, I often take a small wood chisel and remove any Davcon that I think may come into contact with the sides or front of the recoil lug....after this "gunk" has dried of course.

Maybe this "visual" pictorial will help. If your like me...I seem to learn better with pictures or drawings in front of me.

Good luck and don't forget THE RELEASE AGENT!! And don't forget to put some wood putty in holes or indentations where Davcon could flow so you don't have a "permanently" welded barreled action-to-stock set up. (Not a good thing)

Dave

BillPa
02-15-2013, 12:24 PM
The only thing I might add to Jim's post, after test fitting attach the pillars to the action then glue them in. It eliminates the possibility of misalignment issues.

Bill

tinkerer
02-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Follow the advice in the link religiously. And trim the pillars AFTER it bedded. Makes them perfectly aligned with surface. Refinish stock as necessary after that.

Oh, I unscrew action blots and remove my action after 4 hours to avoid the glued in feeling that comes from interference fits. After that, it permanent.

Larry
Tinkerer

JCalhoun
02-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Brownell's has all the bits, pilots, and parts to do it. Savage Model 110 based receivers have the same radius and screw diameter as the Rem 700 so you can use the pillars for them.

A drill press will make this much easier.