PDA

View Full Version : Removing stubborn base off Stevens 200

cowtownup
02-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Heck of a first post, I know... I need a little guidance here.. I've got a Stevens Model 200 in 308 and I wanted to remove these scope bases and go with a one piece base. As I began to loosen the screws with my allen wrench I could feel that "i'm about to round the head off" sensation... I felt like I was getting the best bite with the ball end of the allen wrench so I proceeded to snap the ball off in the head of the screw... Anyhow, the part of the allen wrench that is left inside the head of the screw is loose and moves slightly from side to side, but I just cant seem to get it to pop out.. Even when I do get that out, I still feel like the screw is gonna be a PITA to get out.. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x256/cowtownupp/photobucket-56655-1360875227914_zps028f0b1d.jpg

J.Baker
02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Probably going to have to drill the head off, then if you're lucky there will be enough of the screw protruding from the action (once base is removed) to grab onto with a pair of vise-grips. If not you'll need to drill the rest out and probably retap the hole to 8-40.

And this folks is a perfect example of why you don't ever use lock-tite of any strength of type on scope mount screws.

JCalhoun
02-14-2013, 11:24 PM
+1

Heat from a small plumber's torch should help loosen the screw.

tiny68
02-14-2013, 11:54 PM
I had one set do this year. Previous owner had used Lock-tite red or some super strength stuff. I ended using a disk on my dermel tool to cut a slot in the screw and a flat blade took it right out. I ended you messing up the bases. I agree with others. No place for locke-tite. Luck, Tim

bootsmcguire
02-15-2013, 12:55 AM
I have only had to use a thread locker on one gun so far, the darn screws just would not stay put. They would loosen about every 50 shots. I used a little fingernail polish on them and problem stopped. When I switched to a 1pc base, I just warmed up my electric soldering iron and held the tip to the head of the screw for 45 seconds or so, and screws came right out. I had been using that trick for years on some of my previous hobbies and has yet to fail for me.

I would say that in your case, the above posts are also what I would try.

cowtownup
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks... I got it out last night by drilling down beside it and working the base loose from the screw.. Then much to my surprise the screw came out with just a few turns by hand... Anyhow, I ordered a one piece EGW base for it today and should be back in business next week sometime.. I have some handloads that I'm anxious to try out. Hopefully I will gradually be able to build this rifle into a good shooter, but for now I'm just going to enjoy the journey...