PDA

View Full Version : 60's vintage 110 build questions

sortafast
02-13-2013, 03:23 PM
So I have an action made in the late 50's early 60s so it has the ooooold sty trigger group and bolt like this (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?129-Early-Savage-110-Trigger-Adjustment). So I am upgrading everything on this thing simply because I can and I want to. I am going to leave the trigger group alone for now as I got the trigger somewhat ok. But I am swapping the bolt to a PTG bolt head and body. Now I have the bolt head on order and will get the body soon enough. But what all else do I need to get to make this happen? I know there is some issues with firing pin inter-compatibility between the old and the new but not sure exactly what. I have read I just have to drill out the back side of the bolt a little bit and am gtg but not sure. Also what about the baffle cocking bits, bolt knob and such? Is stuff all the same or will I need to get other stuff too? I have a mill and a lathe and have no problem making stuff that I may need, but would rather buy things than waste a bunch of time designing and building and buy tools to make it. Thoughts? Tried calling Sharp Shooter Supply but haven't been able to get through due to the stupidness going on.

sortafast
02-20-2013, 04:48 PM
nobody?

J.Baker
02-21-2013, 05:42 AM
We're all just sitting here anxiously waiting for you to make the "Oh crap, this ain't going to work" post.

1. Hope you're not planning to keep the factory barrel as the breech is recesses to accept the old-style bolt head.
2. Hope you're not planning to switch to an aftermarket stock as they're all designed for the later triggers which are much longer - thus your old trigger will only stick out of the bottom of the stock about a half-inch.
3. Not sure about the firing pin or other bolt components - most people who do such a conversion have the foresight to just buy a complete new bolt assembly to save themselves the headache of trying to mix new parts with parts that were made over a half-century ago.

sortafast
02-22-2013, 11:43 AM
So far, new barrel is on the receiver. Got a new bolt head from PT&G with a PT&G spiral fluted body on the way. Trigger is a non issue with the stock I have. It will work for barrel break in, but i will be doing some "mods" to it to make it come farther down here in a bit. Between myself and my friend that is a great fabricator, I think we go it nailed. And its not about forsight on the firing pin, its more about availability or lack there of. I guess we will see what happens when the bolt body shows up.

On a side note, I did modify the bolt/screw that goes into the back of the bolt body to hold the FP inplace. I took it and put it on the lathe and buffed it a bit then went over it with a finishing belt (belt sander with a scotch bright for a belt) to buff it up a bit. Put some lube on it and it significantly smoothed out the bolt lift. I am going to buff it a little more to make it just a touch smoother. Figured this was easier that doing the ball bearing thing.