PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 Benchrest (6mm BR Norma) Pet Loads

jb27
02-11-2013, 03:08 PM
I've got a Model 12 Benchrest in 6mm BR Norma on order. Looking forward to getting it and start shooting/working up loads. My overall intent for the gun is shooting groups at my local club for fun, mostly at 100-200 yds.

I've been trying to research this and a few other forums to find good load information to serve as a starting point for working up my own loads. I've got all the components and dies to start loading a few rounds which primarily i'll be using to break-in the rifle. For starting out, I bought some Berger 80 gr FB, Hornady 105 gr A-Max, and some 107gr SMK. With the limited availability of primers, I was able to find some CCI BR-4 and Federal 205M. Hopefully, I will be able to find some CCI 450's some time soon. I will be using new Lapua brass. For powder, I have Varget, RL-15 and some newly acquired N-135.

Being that load information is somewhat lacking in all of my manuals (They have info for 6mm BR Rem, which I understand I can use, however they don't have much info for heavier bullets), I'm trying to find out what I can online. One load that I found is below:

CCI 450 primer
30.3 gr Varget
105 gr Hornady A-Max
2.330 COAL
Full length sized new brass trimmed to 1.550

To me (w/o know a whole lot about this caliber), I'm unsure of the powder load and the seating depth. The load seems a little hot.

Hodgdon's website doesn't have load info for 105 gr bullets, but for 100 gr, the Varget load ranges from 26.0 to 28.0 and for a 107 gr, the Varget ranges from 26.0 to 29.0C.

I know that once I get the rifle in-hand, i'll have to measure the distance to the lands and adjust my loads accordingly, but for the sake of loading a few rounds to break-in my barrel, I was wondering what overall cartridge length some of you folks that have this rifle have found success with using similar components.

I've also seen several folks mention loads for the 105 and 107 grain bullets using Varget in the neighborhood of 30 grains. Just looking for some further affirmation.

Thanks!