PDA

View Full Version : Why do you upgrade?

tonynoriega
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Morning all...

Was surfing through the forums this mornign and was curious to ask why "you" would upgrade your stock?

Seeems like a big business, and just from a couple of the sites I visited, they get down pretty nitty gritty when designing new stocks.

Am going to purchase the Saveage Model 116 .30-06 Trophy XP when my bonus check graces my account, and have heard a few of you mention upgrading.

I put the rifle in my hands a few times and think the stock feels pretty good (with my limited experience), and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for this specific model as to an upgrade... maybe for next years project.

Thanks

goinssr
02-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Many times it is for aesthetic purposes only. Some like to change from wood to synthetic to eliminate the problems associated with wood due to variations in weather. Sometimes the OEM stock is just so cheap it's not worth messing with. (i.e. Stevens...I know some will take exception to that statement) Often the factory stock is just not suitable for the rifles newly assigned mission. My thoughts are if you like what is on the gun then keep it! Maybe have the action bedded and float the barrel.

pdog06
02-11-2013, 07:17 PM
because we can.....LOL:cool:

Seeriously, goinssr's statement above is right on the money.

The whole idea of the perfect rifle is making it the way you want it, and if you cannot buy it that way then you make it that way!

Hosted
02-11-2013, 08:15 PM
I agree that mostly for aesthetics. My rifle is a Stevens and the stock just felt like a toy and I found a decent aftermarket used for $100 so I figured why not. It just makes the rifle feel more solid. I'm going to play with bedding and stiffening the Stevens stock and see what I can do with it just for fun though.

Westcliffe01
02-11-2013, 10:21 PM
The only decent "plastic" stock I have yet seen is the one on my 10PC. And its an accustock. The injection molded honeycombed stocks on the baseline Savage and Remington and "insert name" guns are just utter crap that give you something to hold but nothing more. Yes, the gun will shoot and go bang, but if you are after consistent accuracy they are worthless.

You can get nice looking wood stocks, but they will expand and contract with humidity and temperature and that will make action bolts tighter or looser until you do a proper glass and pillar bedding job. The factory just cant mess with stuff like this, they don't have time, especially when the government gets $200 or whatever the number is for excise tax for every completed weapon.

65impala
02-11-2013, 11:17 PM
For me it is usually a matter of ergonomics, or rather tailoring the rifle to it's intended uses. Factory stocks are not as comfortable to shoot prone or benchrest as a stock that is designed for the purpose you are using it for.

Secondary is aesthetics for me, but sometimes that is enough reason :)

wnycollector
02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Double tap...sorry!

missed
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Getting a stock that fits me better, higher accuracy...

Stockrex
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
human nature, seldom satisfied with what we have...

Bullhed78
02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
I agree with most of these statements. I just bought my first bolt action rifle about a month ago and ended up choosing the Savage 116 Weather Warrior in .30-06. First thing I did was put a scope on it and shot a box of ammo through it for a baseline. Then I immediately ordered the tactical bolt knob $115 from Savage and a Hogue stock $200 from Midway USA. When all was said and done the gun shoots no better or worse than it did with the factory bolt knob and Accustock. For me the upgrades boiled down to a bigger bolt knob to get ahold of with gloves on while hunting and I like the feel of the soft overmolded stock rather than the hard plastic Accustock.

bootsmcguire
02-14-2013, 06:12 PM
I upgrade my stocks mostly to get a stiffer forend. The stiffer forend definatly improves accuracy when using a bipod or front rest.

I have tried several styles and for target most have worked very well. I will say that the best 2 all around stocks I have used and still have both, are the now discontinued B&C Duramaxx, and the Factory Savage non-accustock synthetic with the slightly wider forend that comes on the 12FV and 12FVSS (and also on some of the Law Enforcement Series rifles IIRC). Both feel good in the hand, and both seem to ride my rear bag and rest pretty well and work well with a bipod also.

snowgetter1
02-14-2013, 09:13 PM
I just love the Boyds and Stockys thumbholes.