PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10FCP HS, break in

Pages : [1] 2

crossg4
01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Hello everyone, thought I would post a few pics of the new addition to the gun collection. Just finished breaking it in and running a few test groups through it ( probably have 150 down the tube). I have been trying the OCW method and find it a really interesting way to work up a load, very helpfull people. I started out with 168 SMK's and then tried 175 SMK's. I was thinking the rifle was not grouping very well and was considering taking it to a smith and have it recrowned, what do you think? Actually I don't know if it likes 175's better or maybe the rifle is just starting to settle down? Forgot to mention the only thing I did was skim bed the action. I really love the trigger and I think it will be a really nice shooter, thanks for your time, Gary.
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/crossg4/IMG_0472.jpg
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/crossg4/IMG_0481.jpg
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/crossg4/IMG_0501.jpg

Quackaddict
01-13-2010, 09:13 PM
I have the identical rifle, Mine has really liked the Lapua Sencar 155's over varget, though I had decent groups with 168 Amax and Varget. I am gonna run with the 155's though, I can push them up to about 2900 without pressure and the load is so accurate I can tell when I dont do something right. If I am shooting right it will put 5 in the .3's at 100yds. YMMV though. Mine shot most everything decent, around 1MOA or so but im always trying to get that extra out of it, I will be adding a brake and a SSS trigger to mine shortly, hopefully that makes it easier to shoot for me.

crossg4
01-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Quickaddict
Did yours shoot right away or did you notice an improvement after sending quite a few downrange. I'm really impressed with the rifle, I was in a sportshop today and I asked to look at an HS Precision rifle (tactical looking and a 3999.99 pricetag) I said to the salesman the old savage will probably shoot just as good at 1/4 the price. Nice rifle by the way but I was thinking a guy could put a real nice custom together for about 1/2 that or better yet just buy another barrel for the Savage.
I imagine this question has been asked 1000 times but do you think a nice target crown might help make my rifle shoot a little more consistent (ie. not as many unexplained flyers) or should just leave as is.
I take it by your post that you really enjoy your 10FPC also, once you found your Scenar load did it shoot consistent for you? Some rifle pics and groups would be nice.Take care, Gary.

jdg
01-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Great looker! My 10FP likes 43.0gr Varget, shooting 168SMKs. Its a light load at 2650fps, but it grouped the best. Shoots 155gr SMKs, over 43.5gr Varget, about the same. .580" for 5 shots.

sparks1
01-14-2010, 06:20 PM
If I may step in here. My 10FCP HS break in was 50 rds, Then I started to work up loads. H 4895 and IMR 4064. Both got good groups but had an unexplained flyers. savageshooter suggested trying a different primer. VOILA groups 1/2" @ 100yds. all a nice cluster. Before going the crown route, I would suggest working up loads, and then play with seating depth,primers, etc.

Nice photo

crossg4
01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
[Great looker! My 10FP likes 43.0gr Varget, shooting 168SMKs. Its a light load at 2650fps, but it grouped the best. Shoots 155gr SMKs, over 43.5gr Varget, about the same. .580" for 5 shots.e][/]

As you can see I played around with the 168 SMK's while breaking it in and tried to get a decent load but to no avail. Read a lot of good things about the 175 SMK and gave them a try, I guess the rifle really has a preference for that bullet powder combo. I was also thinking that maybe the rifle has started to shoot consistent (broken in) and that I should be able to get the rifle to shoot the 168's. Maybe have to go back and play around with them. I'm really hoping the 175's will hold around 1/2 moa at 200 meters (hoping).

Gary.

Quackaddict
01-15-2010, 12:19 AM
Quickaddict
Did yours shoot right away or did you notice an improvement after sending quite a few downrange. I'm really impressed with the rifle, I was in a sportshop today and I asked to look at an HS Precision rifle (tactical looking and a 3999.99 pricetag) I said to the salesman the old savage will probably shoot just as good at 1/4 the price. Nice rifle by the way but I was thinking a guy could put a real nice custom together for about 1/2 that or better yet just buy another barrel for the Savage.
I imagine this question has been asked 1000 times but do you think a nice target crown might help make my rifle shoot a little more consistent (ie. not as many unexplained flyers) or should just leave as is.
I take it by your post that you really enjoy your 10FPC also, once you found your Scenar load did it shoot consistent for you? Some rifle pics and groups would be nice.Take care, Gary.

Sorry it took me so long to get back, I will post a couple group pics up and a shot of the rifle tomorrow. The gun has always been a standard MOA or so shooter with most anything I can handload for it. I have only run various flavors of the Match bullets through it. It really seemed to figure itself out after about 200 rounds, the copper fouling actually comes clean in it now to.

Overall im really liking mine, I kinda wish it was 243, but thats just what I use it for. As for Groups, I still get unexplained flyers now and then, but the 155 Sencar load is the most consistent I have found, and I think some of it is me, but even with the flyers its under MOA. At 400 yds ( my longest target) the rifle isnt even fun to shoot, I just dial it up and blaze away until im tired of center punching the dinger, easily MOA out there. I will try some different primers when I get the chance, but all I have been able to find are the CCI's, the BR2's did nothing for my load, maybe the Federal primers will help out with the flyers. This is my first Centerfire i have really tried to work out good accuracy out of, so my shooting is still suspect, hopefully adding a brake will help out with that.

I have about 700 rounds down the tube of mine, mostly load testing at 100 yds. I have pretty much settled on the Sencar load for target shooting. And I will develop a TTSX 150grn load for Deer. I have a 110 Vmax over 10x that is pretty nasty on little critters as well.

The real reason I made the rifle the way I have is so I can change the caliber if I want to, if I get tired of the 308, I will likley buy a match barrel in 243 or 6mm BR, if I like the 308, I will probably just get another match 308 barrel.

crossg4
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Sounds good, exactly what I was thinking about my gun, get better at the long range game, (mainly paper punching) and putting lots of rounds through it. I was thinking of a 6.5x47 or 6.5x55 switch barrel. The problem is getting barrels up here in Canada, not too much of a hassle just not as much access to all the manufacturers. A good smith should be able to thread and chamber a quality barrel and I would like to actually thread it on, looks like fun. I'm sure another hobby that would soon turn into an addiction.
Good point about the flyers, easy enough to blame the load but like you, I can probably point the finger at myself a little more often also. I'm going to start using some kind of wind flags at the range as I will learn lots, not very often I get out to the range the wind is dead calm. Like you said fun rifle to shoot :)

Gary

Quackaddict
01-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Here are those pics you wanted

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5130/mg3763.jpg
Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=Canon+EOS+DIGITAL+REBEL+XSi&make=Canon) at 2010-01-15

Savage 10 FCP HS
Bushnell 6500 4.5-30
Burris Sig rings
EGW O MOA rail

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8833/img3756cv.jpg

5 shot group, measurement is OTO

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3276/img3755q.jpg

3 shot group

I had another picture but am to lazy to download it LOL

crossg4
01-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Good looking rig man, the camo job really sets it off. Nice groups also, seems like just about every thread I read about the 10Fp series the rifles just plain shoot.

If I may step in here. My 10FCP HS break in was 50 rds, Then I started to work up loads. H 4895 and IMR 4064. Both got good groups but had an unexplained flyers. savageshooter suggested trying a different primer. VOILA groups 1/2" @ 100yds. all a nice cluster. Before going the crown route, I would suggest working up loads, and then play with seating depth,primers, etc.

Nice photo

Thanks for the info I'm now going to shooting the 175SMK's at 200 meters using the OCW (as per Dan Newberry's instructions) method with 43.6/43.9/44.2 and see if they impact the same and then play with seating depth going -.005 and +.005. Hopefully will be a good load.

Quackaddict
01-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I think you will find something for it, if a particular bullet dont shoot, just keep moving until you find something, I would try the 155 Amax or Sencar, Sierra makes a 155 palma that might be good as well. Those 175's show some promise!

As for the paint, a couple cans of krylon and some imagination are all that are required, I never really liked all black rifles.

Dennis
01-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Picture below, Factory ammo (HSM 168gr A-Max) out of my FCP 308 McMillian, the more I shot it the better the groups get!

However 168 SMK's, WLR primers, 43.5grn Varget .015 off the lands produce the same group!!!!!!! I noticed you are setting your COAL @ 2.810

And my gun will shoot 175 SMK's the same!!!!!!! I will find those groups and post them!

After relooking at your 175 SMK groups, I would advise these to anyone who shoots over 100yds. I shoot @ 600yds most of the time and the SMK's do the job!

The only difference between the two guns are the Stocks!!!!!

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/Dennis4437/DSC02378.jpg

Dennis
01-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Anybody have their favorite 175gr load?

I also have some 190's I will have to look up and post! The FCP does a dayum good job with them also.

Dennis
01-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Great looker! My 10FP likes 43.0gr Varget, shooting 168SMKs. Its a light load at 2650fps, but it grouped the best. Shoots 155gr SMKs, over 43.5gr Varget, about the same. .580" for 5 shots.

What is your COAL? Again I usually set my SMK's .015 off the lands.

I ALSO SHOOT BERGERS! Usually I put these (175's) on the lands or .005 in the lands!

Any other berger shooters out there? Feel free go give you load data and COAL setting!

Quackaddict
01-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I start everything .015 off the lands, then move back from there. Amax liked a little more, .025 if I remember right, Sencars liked .015, SMK's I have only played with at .015. So much testing one can do!

crossg4
01-17-2010, 12:13 AM
So next question if you guys are shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100 are you able to hold that 1/2moa at 200 and farther out. I guess it all depends on conditions and your ability that day?

Gary.

Dennis
01-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Well, I personally can't make this statement! My FCP shoots better than I do! I am happy if I hold an 1 1/2" groups at 200yds, but I don't shoot much at 200yds. I do shoot a lot at 600yds! I can hold a 16" group on a good day with most of my shots within 8". If you are familiar with a F class target, I put 65 out of 66 shots inside of the 9 ring with 8 shots in the bulleye! This is not great in competition, but I would have dropped any deer around with this group!

bgc
01-17-2010, 10:57 AM
I have been trying to break-in the barrel on my 10FCP for the past year..... I have managed to break the bank getting the copper out of the barell....roughest barrel i have had from Savage...

Dennis
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
bgc

I have been trying to break-in the barrel on my 10FCP for the past year..... I have managed to break the bank getting the copper out of the barell....roughest barrel i have had from Savage...

I will be glad to take the rifle out of your hands!!!!! JUST KIDDING

How many rounds have you put throught the barrel? I know mine took awhile, but when it did break in, it the best!

crossg4
01-17-2010, 11:32 AM

I agree that the Savage barrels are not as easy to clean as custom hand lapped, they tend to copper foul a little quicker. When I say break I'm also referring to having the barrel settle down and start shooting consistent.

I started using the Wipeout products, as you can see by my last test targets I went 50 rounds before a quick cleaning (maybe could have shot more). A few applications of MPro7 (carbon) then Wipeout Accelerator and the Wipeout Patchout or Foam and it comes clean. How clean do you need, not sure, I try and clean so no copper comes out on patches, some just run Hoppes No.9 (aka Dan Newberry- OCW website) to take off the high spots of copper. These new cleaning products really do make rifle maintenance easier. I don't really mind a little more work for a factory barrel as long as they shoot like most of the Savage barrels do.

Well, I personally can't make this statement! My FCP shoots better than I do! I am happy if I hold an 1 1/2" groups at 200yds, but I don't shoot much at 200yds. I do shoot a lot at 600yds! I can hold a 16" group on a good day with most of my shots within 8". If you are familiar with a F class target, I put 65 out of 66 shots inside of the 9 ring with 8 shots in the bulleye! This is not great in competition, but I would have dropped any deer around with this group!

Fair enough Dennis, so something around 1 1/2 to 2 inches is not bad shooting for a factory gun at 200 yrds. Just looking for some ideas and realistic expectations.

Gary