PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 rifle Build

JimmyKorn483
02-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi shooters.

Im new to the site and found that theres lots of great information here.. I found good deal on a rifle so I bought it in a model 12 with a semi custom configuration along with some work done to the action. It seems like the action needs to be redone because it just doesn't function or close as smoothly as my Remy or other Savage. Does anyone know of local gun builder in Ohio that has a decent return time to blueprint a Savage action??

Thank you all for your help and for allowing me to join your brotherhood.

Jim

thomae
02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Welcome. Savages tend not to be as smooth as some other brands. Before you do anything, how well does it shoot?

JimmyKorn483
02-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Thank you for the reply. I haven't shot it but my friend said it shot under 1". That didn't sound that great to me.

also movign the bolt it feels like ****. That was my thinking behind having the actin inspected or just have it done.

JCalhoun
02-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Contact Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter Supply. He's in Delphos, OH.

JimmyKorn483
02-10-2013, 08:32 PM
did some more gooogle searches on truing Savages and i found a article about that guy Fred you mentioned does to Savage actions and it sounds like a **** good approach. I also found a guy by the name of Nathanial Lambeth. http://customgunsandammunition.embarqspace.com/#/gunsmithing/4526007831

Does anyone know the lead time on Freds action work?? I want to use my rifle in the spring(april)

stangfish
02-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know of local gun builder in Ohio that has a decent return time to blueprint a Savage action

Contact Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter Supply. He's in Delphos, OH.

I think that requirment rules Fred out.

pdog06
02-10-2013, 10:21 PM
that requirement rules about any reputable gunsmith out right about now.

Nate will true the action but will not time the action like Fred does it. The timing is what makes it slick as silk.

JimmyKorn483
02-10-2013, 10:34 PM
thank you PDog.. I just read onhere the timing thing that Fred talks about. So there arne't any other gunsmiths that do that work or exact procedure??

Stang - So is it a long wait time for the Fred guy? I dont want to send it to someone and they tell me 8 weeks and it turns into 8months and they say tuff ****..

JimmyKorn483
02-10-2013, 10:35 PM
thank you PDog.. I just read onhere the timing thing that Fred talks about. So there arne't any other gunsmiths that do that work or exact procedure??

Stang - So is it a long wait time for the Fred guy? I dont want to send it to someone and they tell me 8 weeks and it turns into 8months and they say tuff ****..

JCalhoun
02-11-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure how he's doing it now but it used to be he put you on a waiting list and called you when he was ready for your action.

The way you describe the feel of the action I'm suspicious somebody bubbyfied the action trying to slick it up.

JimmyKorn483
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I think so too JC.. Does Fred ever get on here and post? I've been trying to get through on his phone this morning and its just rings or busy.

I jsut want to know if its doable by him in a decent time frame or go in another direction.

wbm
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Just a thought because you mentioned that the Model 12 was "semi custom". Make sure that the forward and rear receiver bolts are not touching the bolt after tightening. It takes very little over travel for either of those to make the bolt cycle roughly!

CharlieNC
02-11-2013, 04:18 PM
You can also use a Dremmel, fabric polishing wheel, and Flitz (or similar fine compound) to polish the cocking ramp and mechanisms. Afterwards put some Flitz in the cocking mechanisms and fire/cycle a few hundred times; break it down and clean/lube thoroughly. This will make it much smoother too. Also a longer bolt handle (either aftermarket tactical or Savage large-bolt) will give you better leverage too. If it's a centerfeed check to be sure the mag lips are not dragging on the bolt, if so they will need filing down and polishing too in order to get a little clearance.

JCalhoun
02-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Fred posts under the name sharpshooter.