PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 VLP-DBM .223 barrel threads

jhall1957
02-10-2013, 03:31 PM
I just got a very nice Model 12 VLP-DBM in a .223. This is my first nicer bolt action.

My question is this, should I be able to see barrel threads inside the chamber when cleaning the rifle? I can see 10-12 threads between the ramp and the barrel. Is this right? It shoots fine but looks unusual.

Thanks

stangfish
02-10-2013, 04:08 PM
If I may clarrify. What you are seeing is the threads in the action that the barrel screws into. This is perfectly normal. If you were seeing threads in your chamber we would have a problem. The chamber is where the cartridge resides. The area you are seing threads is where the bolt lugs go when the bolt is closed and the action is supporting them. Operate the bolt while looking at it and you will see what I am talking about.

jhall1957
02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Stangfish, you are absolutely correct, bad term useage on my part. So it is normal for a gap to reside in the action where the barrel does not butg up against anything?

Thank you, you've put my mind at easy. The gun shoots great but I saw that and figured better safe then sorry. Thanks

stangfish
02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
The barrel is adjustable for headspace dimension control. This saves a lot of time in the assembly of the rifles. The barrel can be finished all at once, then assembled and out the door. The barrel nut is what holds it all together and allows for fast headspace ajustment. Other companies use the barrel face by the recoil lug to hold it tight but needs to be finish reamed after assembly to get the correct headspace. Funy thing is, there is only a few big name rifle manufactures that have not gone to the barrel nut in one of their rifle lines.