PDA

View Full Version : New LRP-Barrel not centered in stock

savman
02-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Last week I got my new Savage 12 LRP 6.5 creedmore. I noticed barrel was not centered in stock. The action aligns perfectly and rear tang is floated. I removed stock just to check the stock and the aluminum block that beds the action seemed fine. My guess is that maybe the aluminum bedding block was not installed in the stock correctly.

By the way, the barrel is still free floating but off to the left side of center 1/4 inch. I was only able to shoot 3 times to verify scope alignment before rain moved in. Was wondering if I should be concerned with this issue or is this common with the LRP and HS precision stock.

Stockrex
02-10-2013, 09:09 AM
The front screw hole is much larger than the screw
wrap some eclectically tape around the shaft to center the screw

northlander
04-20-2013, 05:20 AM
I just had a F Class shooter call me for a similar issue. He was installing a Criterion Barrel onto one of his Target Actions and the barrel was sitting off to the left on his action. He thought that the barrel threads were slightly bent so he loosened the barrel nut and rotated the barrel 180 degrees, snugged the barrel nut up and it was still seated to the left. He has three Savage Target Actions so he tried this barrel, barrel nut and lug package on all three actions. every time he snugged it down it went to the left.

He had a Savage barrel nut and recoil lug set that when tightened up would pull the barrel off to the left. I set him up with one of our NSS Large Shank Barrel Nuts and matching Large Shank Recoil Lugs, it sits straight now. He has never seen one this far off with his other builds but he did order three more sets.

His fix did not have anything to do with a stock being offset where the action mounts up but you may want to verify if your action and barrel are sitting square before blaming your H-S Precision Stock.

I would not normally post this but he is not a member and you would not hear his story otherwise.

Jim Briggs
NSS

daniel brothers
04-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Interesting... and here I am thinking about buying a LRP 243... Hmmmmm......

Stockrex
04-20-2013, 03:08 PM
I just had a F Class shooter call me for a similar issue. He was installing a Criterion Barrel onto one of his Target Actions and the barrel was sitting off to the left on his action. He thought that the barrel threads were slightly bent so he loosened the barrel nut and rotated the barrel 180 degrees, snugged the barrel nut up and it was still seated to the left. He has three Savage Target Actions so he tried this barrel, barrel nut and lug package on all three actions. every time he snugged it down it went to the left.

He had a Savage barrel nut and recoil lug set that when tightened up would pull the barrel off to the left. I set him up with one of our NSS Large Shank Barrel Nuts and matching Large Shank Recoil Lugs, it sits straight now. He has never seen one this far off with his other builds but he did order three more sets.

His fix did not have anything to do with a stock being offset where the action mounts up but you may want to verify if your action and barrel are sitting square before blaming your H-S Precision Stock.

I would not normally post this but he is not a member and you would not hear his story otherwise.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Jim,
I have to check mine, the lug and barrel/action setup is from factory, I have a few hs and all of them except one is crooked