PDA

View Full Version : new mcgowen barrel will not break in...

Pages : [1] 2

outdoorsms
12-31-2008, 09:24 PM
I got my new mcgowen barrel in that I ordered from Jim at NSS who was a pleasure to work with, I had my new barrel within one week. The new barrel was chambered in 30-06, well after getting barrel on and headspaced I took it to the range to break it in. To make a long story short after I had shot over 22 shots thru the barrel I was still getting just as much copper as I was on the first shot. To say the least I was quite frustrated. So after talking to Jim and a few emails from mcgowen I have sent the barrel back to them to see what the problem is. I did notice quite a few tool marks on the crown and after I took barrel off yesterday I could see a burr about 2 inches down from the crown. The people at mcgowen responded quick to all my questions and said if it was anything wrong with the barrel that they caused they would fix it or replace it free of charge so we will see what the verdict is in the coming weeks. Just my luck on my first barrel job I get a bad one. I guess it happens though, I have not written mcgowen off just yet.

tomme boy
12-31-2008, 10:24 PM
They had to cut 3/8" off of my barrel to get rid of a poor lap job. I am about ready to get rid of mine. Hope you have better luck than I have had.

learjet
01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
my mcgowens been fantastic. i dont want them not gettin a fair shake from those of us happy w their barrels. mines a LS 308 bull, coppered a bit for the first 50 rounds or so, but never as much as a factory barrel. took it to a LR shootin course, and after the first day of heavy shootin when we went back to clean our rifles, mine had durn near no copper. 700 rnds later now its still a lights out shooter, and is the easiest cleaning barrel ive owned.

Blue Avenger
01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
What I an hearing MOST are good, but there are a few slipping through. But then I hear that about some other makers also. If you think about what they are actually doing to a piece of metal I think it is to be expected to have some mechanical failures. They need to work on there visual inspection to slow them getting out..

TechHunter
01-14-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a McGowen that shoots pretty good (.5 consistently, ocasionally .35) and it does not foul that bad. I am pretty happy with it as it is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

Skeet1959
01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I have a .308 McGowen that is a real shooter. Like the other guy's bbl, mine coppered a little for the first 50 rounds, but then settled in to be a real pleasure to shoot and clean.

outdoorsms
01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
well its been 4 weeks since i sent the barrel back and i have called twice and they have yet been able to tell me where in the process my barrel is or what was wrong with it. they keep telling me they will call me back when they find out. i understand it could take awhile for them to get around to it and that is fine but i would like to get a straight answer when i talk to them.

Blue Avenger
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
You talking to John? Shot show is over so every one should be back.

mikeyr68
01-30-2009, 06:29 PM
I had the same experience when contacting McGowen. Left a message, no return. Sent E-mail, no reply. Called and spoke to somebody, said they would check on my order and call me back, no call. Called a week later, got somebody, they looked up my order after saying that I should go through Jim (Northlander) for customer service. A comment was made about them providing customer service for people that order through others but I ignored it. I just wanted to check on the order, it had been 5 weeks, and to see if they could send me a tracking number when it shipped. Turned out the barrel had shipped and he gave me the tracking number. I hope their barrel turns out to be better than their people skills. So far, I'm slightly regretting my order though no fault of Jim, he was great. Now I'm concerned based on what I've read here and what I have experience. I really hope I don't have any problems.

Mike

outdoorsms
01-31-2009, 07:32 PM
yes i have been talking to jon and he was wonderful about helping me get my barrel back to him. we exchanged at least 5 emails one day and all the help was great. well after i have sent the barrel back to them everytime i call i get a... i will check on it and call you back but they never call me back. and with my work schedule right now i can only call on fridays. i just want an answer, i told them i dont care when it gets done just give me an update...lie to me, i dont care just tell me somthing

northlander
02-01-2009, 11:45 PM
McGowen would prefer that my customers call me and not call McGowen. If you do have an issue or a concern allow me to be of assistance.

McGowen is in the process of moving to a larger facility. When they start their move delivery times may go out an additional 2 weeks due to the fact that they are not producing product while they are moving.

With the SHOT Show and the following Engravers Show McGowen has been working with their Sales Mgr. (Jon) out of the office. This is putting a lot of pressure on the other guys in the office to do their jobs as well as answering Jon's questions. Again, if you have a question please let me know first.

Jim Briggs
NSS

outdoorsms
02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
hey jim this is jacob, i did talk to you a couple of times and i told you i talked to them. you then told me it would be quicker just to go through them so that is what i did. i got off the phone with them yesterday and finally got an answer after 5 weeks!! they said nothing is wrong with the barrel even though i have had a gun smith look at it and he says the crown is messed up and there is a burr in it. all mcgowen said they would do is re-lap it. so anyway im just waiting to get it back and even if the barrel does start shooting good i will not be buying another one from mcgowen. and people on here have said it takes there mcgowen 50 or more shots to break in...well a custom barrel should not take that long especially when my cuz got his barrel in on the same weekend as i did and after 4 shots his shillen was broken in with no copper fouling. maybe my barrel is not the norm for them but i will not be a repeat customer. i also want to say that i would do business again with jim nothing against him at all just a little upset with mcgowen...

outdoorsms
02-20-2009, 09:14 PM
well i finally got my barrel back from mcgowen. we didnt have time to work up a load and shoot a good group but mcgowen did fix the copper fouling problem and they fixed the crown marks and the chip on the end of barrel so im happy so far that there is no fouling at all. i cant wait to see what kind of group it can shoot ;D

outdoorfan
02-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I got a 30-06 barrel from McGowen last summer. After having carefully installing it to a bedded action, I couldn't get it to shoot very accurately with any of three bullets that I tried and with 4350 powder. I'm not sure if the problem is in the barrel or not, but I was in a hurry to get it ready for deer hunting, so I just called it good. Accuracy was 1.5-2 MOA at 100 yards. I thought it would perform with 56-58 grains 4350 and a 165 Interbond. I tried a few other combinations as well, too. I'm not about to spend lots of money and time trying to find something that'll shoot the way this barrel should shoot, but I didn't have any trouble shooting my deer either.

mfilippello
10-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I have a 26" Mcgowen 260 rem. Barrel in 1-8.5 twist. I have been trying to find a load it likes but can't get under 1 moa yet. I have been up and down the charge scale using H4831sc and Berger 130gn VLD's, Hornady 140gn Amax, and now Sierra 142gn Match kings. The barrel shows little to no fouling and cleans like a dream. We are gong to load some other powders and see how that goes. I am also going to swap scopes as well, but i suspect my 4200 elite is just fine. My friend is shooting a Bartlein 260rem barrel on his Remington 700 based rifle and is shooting 1" 5 shot groups at 300 yds. I would think I should be able to get .5 moa groups if the barrel is good. I will keep you guys posted.

Fjold
10-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I have a 26" Mcgowen 260 rem. Barrel in 1-8.5 twist. I have been trying to find a load it likes but can't get under 1 moa yet. I have been up and down the charge scale using H4831sc and Berger 130gn VLD's, Hornady 140gn Amax, and now Sierra 142gn Match kings. The barrel shows little to no fouling and cleans like a dream. We are gong to load some other powders and see how that goes. I am also going to swap scopes as well, but i suspect my 4200 elite is just fine. My friend is shooting a Bartlein 260rem barrel on his Remington 700 based rifle and is shooting 1" 5 shot groups at 300 yds. I would think I should be able to get .5 moa groups if the barrel is good. I will keep you guys posted.

A Bartlein is a step (or 2 or 3) above a McGowen. I would expect it to be better.

Stu
10-21-2009, 09:33 AM
My Mcgowen in 6.5x55 swede is an exceptional shooter. Minimal copper fouling, and cleans easiliy. Even when it was new. On the other hand, i bought a Shillen a couple of years ago and it has been well under my expectations. Hard to find a load it liked, copper fouling was worse then any new factory Savage barrel i've ever had. Took probably a hundred rounds thru it before the fouling problem eased up. Still not as accurate as the Mcgowen.
So i would say that you can get a stinker from any of them. But for now, If i buy another barrel, it will be from Mcgowen.

Blue Avenger
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I have 3 17" threaded blanks I got from McGowen back when they first started. There now chambered in .22-250 AI, 6.5 rem mag & 6BR. All 3 shoot under .5 moa and clean easy.
In my case, they were bought for there price, not there reputation. There reputation was earned after that.
I am beginning to suspect if time is a big issue, you might be time ahead to buy blanks and have some one else do the work that is more assessable. If there are issues, you go down the street and get it fixed. But then "crowns" seem to be an issue with all the low end barrels no matter the maker.

Also a thing to remember when you cut a 1/2" off a barrel and re-crown it. When it started to shoot .3 moa instead of the former 1.7 moa. That missing 1/2" totally change the harmonics of the barrel and may be more the reason it now shoots .3!

desertdog
10-21-2009, 10:26 PM
I have 3 17" threaded blanks I got from McGowen back when they first started. There now chambered in .22-250 AI, 6.5 rem mag & 6BR. All 3 shoot under .5 moa and clean easy.
In my case, they were bought for there price, not there reputation. There reputation was earned after that.
I am beginning to suspect if time is a big issue, you might be time ahead to buy blanks and have some one else do the work that is more assessable. If there are issues, you go down the street and get it fixed. But then "crowns" seem to be an issue with all the low end barrels no matter the maker.

Also a thing to remember when you cut a 1/2" off a barrel and re-crown it. When it started to shoot .3 moa instead of the former 1.7 moa. That missing 1/2" totally change the harmonics of the barrel and may be more the reason it now shoots .3!
+ 1

livnpaintball
10-30-2009, 11:21 AM

I have a Bartlein 260 22inch on my remmy, I use Berger 140 vld's with 43grns of H4350, 5 shoots covered with a penny. Try H4350 powder. Ive used Varget, 4350, and 4831. H4350 works for me. Oddly enough my gun doesn't care if I jump the bullet or seat it on the lands.