PDA

View Full Version : new mcgowen barrel will not break in...

Pages : 1 [2]

Jonathan
11-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks lads I just figured out a barrel manufacture to scratch off the list of many,many many custom barrel manufactures ....sounds like way to much drama for the price.

pdog06
11-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Thanks lads I just figured out a barrel manufacture to scratch off the list of many,many many custom barrel manufactures ....sounds like way to much drama for the price.

Any of the problems mentioned here could and have happened to any of the barrel makers. McGowen makes a very, very nice barrel. I have 3 and all of them shoot well under 1/2moa with little effort.

Thanks for scratching them off your list and saving more options for me ;)

tiny68
11-16-2009, 02:06 AM

Well if you can get your barrel from them, your having better luck that me. I have been repetitively lied to by McGowen about what has actually happen to the barrel I purchased. Sad thing is, I know the history of why the barrel I paid for was on clearance. I actually tried to set the headspace for my friend went we found out the threads were too short to start with. When the dust finally does settle with them I will share our full correspondence that go back a couple of months. Every returned message is yet another excuse. My patience was worn out. Tell the truth of the matter or just refund my money.

PO'd, Tim

Jonathan
11-16-2009, 02:38 AM

Well if you can get your barrel from them, your having better luck that me. I have been repetitively lied to by McGowen about what has actually happen to the barrel I purchased. Sad thing is, I know the history of why the barrel I paid for was on clearance. I actually tried to set the headspace for my friend went we found out the threads were too short to start with. When the dust finally does settle with them I will share our full correspondence that go back a couple of months. Every returned message is yet another excuse. My patience was worn out. Tell the truth of the matter or just refund my money.

PO'd, Tim
hmmm Thanks Pdog 06 I think that is a compliment ...you go a head and weed out all the lemons would ya ...thanks dude! Any Barrel that goes on my gun will be right or replaced ...now! not 4 months from now or when ya get around to it and ...(if true) barrel burs and tool marks in the crown!?!?!? (if true)
are they getting convicts to hammer barrels in stead of lic. plates lol not kidding
aside from that I would think these would be pretty simple tasks for a barrel (manufacture) to complete properly. as for the move, are they moving to a bigger facility or bigger garage? (if True)

pdog06
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
I totally understand your frustration and anger Tiny, and I would be just as PO'd if not more if mine had ended up the same way. I too know the real reason these were on clearance. I may have lucked out on mine cause it went on with no problems, and I broke it in yesterday and it shot 3/4moa or less with no trouble at all using a load from another gun.

I am not saying McGowen cant do anything wrong, just stating that these kinda things can and will happen to all of the companies at one point or another. Now it is just Mcgowens turn. Last month it was everybody bashing SSS. Yesterday a guy here came on and his first post was Savages are total junk cause he has problems with his ejecting. They all build a lemon now and then, but it doesnt mean that everything they build is junk.There is plenty of proof out there to show that. It looks like you definately got a lemon and it is a shame to see them not holding up there end of the bargain to make things right for you. I can only hope your deal is the exception and not the rule. I truly wish you the best of luck in getting your refund. Please do keep us informed of what happens.

Jonathan, I see where you're coming from. If I was in the market for a barrel and was comparing brands, I would definately cross them off my short list too after reading this thread. But there are a ton of other threads here where guys have had nothing but great service and outstanding accuracy from McGowen. Bottom line is whoever you go with there is always a chance at getting a lemon. I know a couple gunsmiths that absolutely will not use a Shilen blank. Dont know their reasons, but I've never had a problem with their product either.

tiny68
11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I have had problems with Shilen on a couple of barrels. The thing about Shilen that I like is that the admitted there was a mistake and they expedited the repair/replacement. I have had many conversations with Wade Hull at Shilen. One barrel went back 3 times to get right and I still had to do a little sanding to make it work (I just didn't want to wait another couple of weeks). However, each time I spoke with Wade or others at Shilen - they keep their word. That is all I can expect. As far as SSS, I set on the list for over a year to get my first action T&T. For the money, it was well worth the cost and wait. They have T&T ever action I own. Gunsmiths are few and far between where I live. I have tried most of the local ones. It is common to drop and gun off and find out 3-6 months later it still hasn't been touched even on a simple repair. I don't know if they are just that busy or just don't care. I had a rifle built by Dave Tooley (Fall of Hame BR shooter and gunsmith). That build took well over a year once he had my action. Well worth the wait in my opinion. The waiting list for some of the top BR builders is 2-3 years.

The time part I can deal with. I just can't stand to be lied too. My grandpa taught be a saying that I live by "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me". I rarely give a company a second chance unless there is not option in the matter. It is just the way I am. I have a brand new McGowen 223 barrel that I purchased from a forum member last year. I am about to sell or take it just because I am so put out with the service of McGowen and I need a large shank I need a std shank for my son an F/class rig. I can't tell you about their quality. I haven't put a bullet down range yet in one of their barrels.

There is a long story about the barrel that I purchased on clearance by the original buyer. It is the same. McGowen never admitted to fault and wouldn't repair the threads after 2 months (the thread were cut too short to headspace). What made me madder is that they gave my buddy a tracking number, but after 2 weeks they had still never shipped the barrel. More lies.....

My 2 cents, Tim

sinman
11-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I get alot of mcgowen blanks in but I have had trouble get blanks I ordered. I have one 338 barrel I have been waiting about 3 months for or more.

358Hammer
11-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I scratched McGowen off my list a long time ago because of integrity issues starting at the top(owner)!

I use to feel sorry for Dan and Jon ( Jon is no longer there). Jon's replacement knows less about guns and barrel making than my little finger. Fortunately I got out while I felt they made a good barrel.

I refuse to send a nickel to an organization that has an owner without integrity. That is why I went with benchmark barrels many months ago. That and Ron at Benchmark taught the McGowen boys a few tricks of the trade on how to make a good barrel.

This is just my personal opinion. I have never received a bad barrel from McGowen.

Neal

sinman
11-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Ya Aaron makes me wonder some days. I do wish Jon was still there.

montana_native
11-19-2009, 08:46 PM
My $0.02 on McGowan.

A 338 Edge barrel and a 300 WM barrel.

300 barrel purchased from Jim at NSS. Took a looooooong time to break-in. Like 60-70 shots or so. Now there is very little fouling and it shoots under 0.5 MOA.

338 Edge, pretty major communication issues and two missed deadlines. I stayed after them and was polite and they waived some charges and I got another barrel that shot under 0.5 MOA with much easier break-in.

I believe I'd own another one...purchased from someone that had the barrel sitting on the shelf. ;D

okie2
11-21-2009, 08:20 AM
all of you having accuracy problems it may help you to look
at this site and learn what OCW is.
and ask some questions there.

http://practicalrifler.6.forumer.com/