PDA

View Full Version : Shilen Actions - Using Savage Barrels

Pages : 1 [2]

Tackdriver
06-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Excellent review. They are still in the running for my next project.

jasonR
06-10-2013, 12:41 AM
I had a barrel action made by Shilen and received it earlier this year. When I was in discussions with them I wanted two bolts, for non-mag and mag. As mentioned above, they weren't happy with the idea of the changing the bolt head. There was going to be a very high price and a long delay if I got a second bolt, so I didn't go with that option.

The barreled action I had made is a 7mm STW and have since put together a rifle and run some factory ammo down range. I had to pack away reloading gear for the time being ...

I am pretty excited about this rifle and the concept. As expected it is first rate. The large magazine opening (3.95", as I recall), and side bolt release allow for this action to be used as a repeater for the long cartridges seen in 7mm STW. To do this with a Savage would have been more work than I wanted to do. The action didn't come with a base for a scope, although the website suggests otherwise. I orded a base before I realized what their website says.

I can't say that the people at Shilen are rude (and overall I'm a happy repeat customer), they just aren't ... warm and fuzzy.

I like their offering so much, I would use it again.

Tackdriver
06-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Only a couple more remaining questions for me.

1. Does anyone know if the action comes with trigger hanging pins? And does it take the Pre-2006 Rem 700 style triggers or the newer style?

2. Who chambers small shank barrels in magnum calibers? Criterion wouldn't do a 7mm SAUM in a small shank, so that put my whole project on hold.

jasonR
06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Only a couple more remaining questions for me.

1. Does anyone know if the action comes with trigger hanging pins? And does it take the Pre-2006 Rem 700 style triggers or the newer style?

2. Who chambers small shank barrels in magnum calibers? Criterion wouldn't do a 7mm SAUM in a small shank, so that put my whole project on hold.

1. I had them install their trigger, so I don't know.
2. Even less help on the second question.

Scalian
06-14-2013, 08:37 AM
1. I had them install one of there triggers also.
2. I think any gunsmith can chamber you a barrel blank in 7saum. Cant imagine there being a problem as people chanber small shanks for 338 edge all the time. McGowan outlet has them in stock in the small shank also.

Will Criterion not chamber in that caliber or do they not have a reamer?

Tackdriver
06-15-2013, 10:18 PM
When I tried to order it through Jim, he said they wouldn't do it on a small shank.

fryj00
07-31-2013, 11:11 PM
When I tried to order it through Jim, he said they wouldn't do it on a small shank.

I just picked up my DGR today and I will be running .284 Win in a Shilen stainless select Savage drop-in ratchet-groove barrel (4-groove) but, as I recall, you can have Shilen chamber them in quite a range of different cartridges which are detailed here:

http://www.shilen.com/chambers.html

I can't say exactly which will be allowed in a small shank but a phone call is easy...

-Bryan

P.S. - for those that were curious, it does come with the trigger hanger pins. No base.

Tackdriver
12-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Did anyone end up picking up one of these actions? I'm curious if the firing pin is adjustable for depth or if they're set to the bolt head they come with.

fryj00
12-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Did anyone end up picking up one of these actions? I'm curious if the firing pin is adjustable for depth or if they're set to the bolt head they come with.

I don't believe the firing pin is adjustable. It is set only for cartridges with the base circle of the bolt head as-delivered. Bolt heads other than the one ordered are not really available either. Make sure you know what you want before you order.

-Bryan

82boy
12-29-2013, 10:21 AM

These actions are Remington clones, they just use a Savage tenon, and a savage design bolt head. It will have a Remington style firing pin, and use Remington ignition system.

jonbearman
12-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know the difference of the stiller to a stock savage.Could a savage be modified to fit.

tiny68
01-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Jon,

"Could a stock Savage be modified to fit?" Fit what? I don't understand your question. Tim

jsthntn247
01-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Anybody have any pictures of a rifle built off one of these actions? Was it easy to get shooting? Getting one of these actons would save a fella allot of money because no gunsmithing would be necessary and could use Remington parts, mainly stocks.