PDA

View Full Version : Easy question about a striker

Russell D
02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Alright, I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I don't want to make a mistake.

As some of you know I work at Rock Creek Barrels and I started making savage prefits barrels. Somebody called into the shop and I wasn't there at the time so I couldn't talk to the guy personally, but he ordered a heavy sporter barrel in 260 for his striker with an 18" finish length. I sourced a blank to be used for his pistol, but when I got the order sheet and brought it to my shop, I noticed he forgot to make sure the shank size of his pistol. I'm 99% sure all strikers made are small shank, but I want to make sure 100% before I do anything to the blank.

Thank You,
Russell

yorketransport
02-07-2013, 11:19 PM
There are both large and small shank Strikers. I believe that the WSM Strikers were all large shank but the smaller cartridges used the small shank. I have one large shank which started as a 300 WSM from the factory, 2 small shanks, and one built off of a Savage Target action which is also a large shank. Better double check with the customer.

A little bit off topic, but what's your projected turn around time on the barrels?

Andrew

Topstrap
02-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Good to see another barrel maker jump into the Savage Prefits. Thinking of making Rem-age style barrels? Might be another good market to look into. Waiting on one now from another barrel maker for my LR Xp-100 pistol. Hope it's not out of line to ask about those barrels on a Savage Site :)

Thanks and good luck with your sales on the prefits. What will the pricing be on the Savage prefits for both pistol and rifle lengths or will all be custom orders?

Topstrap

snowgetter1
02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
I would confirm with him prior. Like Yorkie said most all are small shank. I know WSM are large, but you never know.

J.Baker
02-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Both sizes were offered in the Striker so you'll have to contact the person to verify the size they need.

Russell D
02-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

I am looking into making remage barrels, but I have just started so I cannot say when they will be offered, or even if!

Turn around time for the barrels I've made so far has been about 2 weeks, but it mostly depends on if I have blanks on hand or if I need to rifle one. I have a couple people waiting on some 22 calibers so they have been waiting longer than others. I want to rifle a few 22 calibers this week, but we are far too busy to know for sure what I will be doing.