PDA

View Full Version : My unreal 111 .270 WCF

Muddly
02-07-2013, 03:48 PM
A simply amazing rifle. Bone stock including the trigger. When I bought her SLIGHTLY used in Nov 2011 I was initially disappointed in her accuracy, but reloads showed a glimmer of hope. With factory ammo she struggled to stay under 2 1/4 inches for 3 at 100. Handloads brought it down to the 1 1/2 inch range, but she seemed to want to do better. Around the 400 round mark she suddenly found the target with inch groups as common as not. Re- reading the instructions for the Lee collet dies, they suggest sizing and rotating the case and sizing again for " better accuracy". Oh boy what a great suggestion( although I'm confused why such an idea would work...)! I immediately noticed an improvement in neck tension and a significant improvement in accuracy as the loads that shot m.o.a. are now shooting into 3/8 to 5/8 for 3 at 100! This 111 was made in June of 1999 according to a nice lady at Savage, and was a true impulse purchase that I am SO glad I made! So far, 2 deer and my first black bear have fallen to this humble Savage. Kinda the " Millennium Falcon" effect. Not much to look at, but she's got it where it counts... You can have your " better" or " more advanced " rifles. These 110-111 series Savages prove that the words " cheap" and "inexpensive" are not interchangeable.

Orange_Crush
02-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Most accurate rifle that I ever owned was a 270 wcf also - although not a Savage. Mine was a big heavy Sako long action with a wood stock. It would shoot 5/8 inch or under groups all day long. Recoil was not even noticeable to me. I gave it to my son.

I would love to play with a Savage sporting a heavy barrel in .270 wcf

Thanks for sharing your experience.

ellobo
02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Go for it mr. Orange. A great learning experience building your own custom and you will be extremely happy with the results.

El Lobo

scope eye
02-07-2013, 07:32 PM
I had not see or hear it referred to as a 270 wcf in a long time, my 270 is also my sweetheart.

Tanks Dean

Speedrat1
02-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Muddly..... I think the point behind size rotate size is to help ensure the case is straight and square...... it's the same process more or less you should be doing when you seat a bullet - just barely start a bullet, back the press off and rotate the case say 90 to 180 degrees and finish seating. Takes a lot of the pressure off the bullet if it's misaligned and allows for it to be straight before it's inserted enough to damage anything.