PDA

View Full Version : Blowing primers/bad ejector spring

maclowry
02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Last week I blew primers out at the range. Figured it out and it was a bad ejector spring. Midway didn't have one available, so I took one off of my 30-06 to get me by.
100 rounds later, it happened again. I will be calling Jim tomorrow to order a few. What's causing this?

.260 shooting 142g smk, at 2750.
24" Shelien match barrel.

maclowry
02-03-2013, 06:57 PM
I don't believe it's too hot of a load.
43.2g H4350, cci primers don't look flat.

Only going 2750ish

MrMajestic
02-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Last week I blew primers out at the range. Figured it out and it was a bad ejector spring.

I donbelieveive it. The ejector won't do anything unless high pressure would cause the brass to flow into it. I reverse my ejector so mine doesn't throw a buckpieceice Lapua cases about. Ejector sits flush with the bolt face when this is done. Load doesn't sound bad, jumping or jamming the bullet? How many reloads on the cases? How does the primer seat? Little or no resistance means that the primer pockets have enlarged and now there is nothing to hold it in.

maclowry
02-03-2013, 09:33 PM
The first spring collapsed.
I still haven't pulled the 2nd one out yet.

Brass has only been reloaded 4 times.

They are tight/snug going in, using my RCBS primer installer on the bench.

Elkbane
02-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Maclowry,
You have a coincidence between blown primers and stuck ejector spring, and you're attributing the cause of the blown primers to the ejector spring. One thing I learned in my advanced statistics courses is just because you have a high coefficient of correlation does not imply cause and effect......I'm guessing it's the opposite of what you're thinking, that the stuck or collapsed spring is caused by gasses escaping from your blown primers.

I'd stop shooting that load until you get the true cause figured out. If this was a "know load" that all of the sudden quit performing for you, then I'd focus on things that incrementally increase pressure over time. My guess is that you are developing a buildup of hard carbon in the throat, or that you have some donuts developing on some but not all of your cases, the effect of which is significantly increased neck tension.
Elkbane

bigedp51
02-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Could you post photos of the base of your cases showing a good closeup of the primer.

I once bought a brick of bad primers that would let go at the edge radius of the primer. These primers were recall and the manufacture paid for a new bolt due to high pressure etching.

If your getting gas leakage around the outside of the primer then the primer isn't sealing properly or your over pressure.

There is also a chance your over resizing your cases and creating too much head clearance, "OR" your rifle might be long on headspace and allowing the primer move too far when fired and breaking the primer seal.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/deform.gif

Below are over pressure loadings fired in a AR15, high pressure will cause the brass to flow into the ejector button. The primers also show signs of high pressure, the brass swipes are caused by over gassing and the bolt rotating while the case is still griping the chamber walls.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/3242.jpg

keeki
02-04-2013, 04:04 PM
The ejector spring is bad because when you blew the primer the hot gasses got the spring hot and at the same time compressed it.

maclowry
02-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Brownells and midway are both on back order.
Jim does not carry them.

I tried calling savage a few times, but its difficult for me to use the phone at work.

Any one have a few spare springs they would sell?

The replacement spring I put in my .260, from my .30-06 was about 20 years old and did not look like the best of shape.

Midway has 2 different ejector springs.
One says for all models the other is for 110.
Both different part numbers.

Which do I need?

keeki
02-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Go to the hardware store and find one the same size. Its just a spring, nothing special

Speedrat1
02-05-2013, 07:42 PM
It'd help to have pics of the case heads for sure but, mean to suggest look at the simple first, and that includes the firing pin. If it's etched and has anything other than a rounded profile, it'll puncture. Also make sure a piece of primer hasn't welded itself onto the end of the firing pin.

keeki
02-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Sounds like tight necks to me. Which reamer was used?

maclowry
02-05-2013, 08:36 PM
No pics of the bad brass. I had tossed those a few days ago. There was an ejector mark on the brass.

All the other brass looked good/regular.

It's a prefit shilen select match barrel.

BillPa
02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Any one have a few spare springs they would sell?

You can order them directly from the Savage online store, they're not restricted parts. You'll need to create an account and the S/N of the action.

EJECTOR
P/N 100129 $3.00 ea.

SPRING EJECTOR
P/N 100131 $2.00 ea.

Bill

Jet
02-05-2013, 10:33 PM
I had a similar issue with my 260 LRP a few months ago. Same brass, bullet and powder as you but running it a bit hotter. Went 50 or so rounds with just primers flattening out a bit moe than usual. Kept shooting the load because it was consistently at .3. Shot that load in a 600 yd match and after 20 rds or so I started getting stiff bolt lift then a few rounds later I blew a couple primers then I quite. Air temps rose about 25 degrees during that period.

Ejector spring and ejector broke on my rifle as well. I blame this all on me and not on the parts. I didn't heed the warning signs. I ordered new parts from Savage then went back on load development. Same components loaded with 40.7 gr give me the same accracy and I don't worry about damaging the rifle anymore.

Jet

acemisser
02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
I had that happen with a mod 10 in 22-250 ejector slamed way back in and blow primers as well as
an occisonal stuck case.Sent it back to savage they test fired it and sent it back saying nothing wrong.
Well it kept doing it.I finally left the ejector out and shot single shot,no big deal....
Anyway I changed the barrel to a shilen and set the head space ,oo15 longer....Never had any problems
afterward...I think it was the barrel myself..Being a little under sized...It didn't do it all the time and
I think that is why it didn't happen when savage tested it again....????????????:whistle: