PDA

View Full Version : 300 savage oal

Monkeymaster
02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Ok,
I have 4 -99's in 300 savages, all lever saftey locks.
I reload for my bolt guns, and in all of them I seat the bullets .015 + or - .005 off of the lands.
In my bolt guns I build a dummy round "no powder or primer" for each bullet, then I paint the bullets with a sharpie, and by trial and error, insert round, check scape marks, adjust seater, run through press, check oal, then repaint and reinsert until I find the optomum oal. They are then stored in with my dies with bullet info and gun info sharpied on them.
That is with bolt guns.
I have heard that lever actions tend to be a different beast to load for.
In your reloading for the 99, should I...
#1. Go with the reloading manual, and just seat each bullet to its oal they call out.
#2. Should I go the extra distance and find the optimum oal with my 99's.
#3. In your 99 realoading history am I making a big deal out of nothing ?
Thanks

Monkeymaster
02-05-2013, 07:31 PM
BTT

JCalhoun
02-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Good question.

The only .300 Savage that I load for is a bolt gun. That being said, I can't see how it would be much different than a lever gun. I think as long as you full length size, trim, etc and the cartridge will fit into and feed from the magazine correctly you be fine.

HIGHRPM
02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
I do my bolt guns the same way. I think as long as you are very careful on the closing of the action and then a slow extraction you should be ok. I have not measured for mine yet, so I need to do the same thing. Good luck and let us know how you fair !