PDA

View Full Version : Stock weight question

brasse
02-02-2013, 11:51 PM
My Savage 6.5 Creedmoor Trophy Hunter will be arriving next week. Savage lists the weight at 7.25 pounds, I assume that is with the Nikon scope and rings.
I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 x 40 with Burris Signature rings to put on it. The Buckmaster weighs a couple ounces more than the 3-9 Nikon on the gun now.

I want to keep the total weight below 8.5 pounds so I can hunt with it. Any extra weight I want in the buttstock end and not in the front of the rifle.

I have two Boyds stocks now, neither is correct ( they are for my Savage model 16 that came in 223 stagger feed) for the 4.4 spacing center DPM magazine But I weighed both, the regular peper laminate weighs 32 ounces, while the Boyds featherweight thumbhole stock weighs 40 ounces. Boyds website states the featherweight is lighter, but the scale don't lie.

I am looking at the Stocky Stocks Long Range Varmint Laminated Thumbhole - Savage 10 Blind & Detachable Magazine Models. Anyone know the weight of one of these? It looks like it would weigh more than the Boyds thumbhole as they put a lot of extra wood in the forend. I need the pachmayer Decelerator butt pad for my bad shoulder.

Looking through this website - it looks like the blind magazine stock will keep the weight down (A blind magazine weights about 4 oz vs a DBM or HF assembly which adds 12 oz to the weight of a stock) Anyone can confirm this??? I heard they use a plastic DBM assembly on the new Savage LWH to address this issue.
I like having a detachable magazine, just don't want the extra weight at that point.

So it looks like I can save a half pound by switching to the blind magazine, does that look correct??