PDA

View Full Version : 300 savage to crimp or not to crimp

Monkeymaster
02-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Hello,
I have several Savage 99's, and a couple of bolt guns in 300 savage.
I plan on reloading 150 grn spt bullets.
I have read a lot on the 300 savage having a short neck and the minimal amount of case that holds the bullet.
Would a crimp die not make sense for this round when reloading, to help in the minimum amount of neck that holds the bullet ?
I understand in tube fed lever guns crimping prevents the recoil and other rounds from pushing the bullets in further, but the 99 has the rotery mag where that is not an issue.
I reload 22-250, 250 savage, 257 rbrts, 270 win, 308 win, 338-06 and have never crimped any reloads, these are all bolt guns with blind magizines however.
Then, if I do crimp, can I crimp lets say a Sierra 150 grn spt where there is no cannuller ?
I was looking at the Lee crimp die.
Thanks

hickhall
02-02-2013, 07:19 PM
i have never crimped my 300 savage in a 99eg with barnes with a cannuller or noslers without. no problems

cookjp
02-03-2013, 01:18 AM
I have experimented with the lee factory crimp dies in my 22-250 and saw no loss of accuracy with a crimp and I have also used it on bullets with no cannelure with good results. So I would imagine you would be fine either way. I tend to crimp my hunting loads just in case.

bigedp51
02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
The only cartridge I crimp is for my Winchester 30-30 because of the feed mechanism and tube magazine. I do not crimp any other cartridge and have never seen a need to in 45 years of reloading with the exception of my 30-30 and the pressure exerted on the bullet tip when loading.

In the last two years I have acquired a M1 Grand and two AR 15 rifles and I do not crimp any of the loads for these rifles and I have not as yet seen any bullet slippage or movement. BUT these rounds are not carried for hunting for long periods and unloaded many times. Meaning I have looked at a few of the remaining rounds in these auto-loaders and checked for movement a few times and seen nothing wrong.

If you can push on a loaded round forcefully placing the tip of the bullet on your reloading bench and pushing hard on the base of the case and see no movement your good to go.

Monkeymaster
02-03-2013, 12:46 PM
OK
Thanks for the replys.
Any more ?

Amistoso
07-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I started reloading my model 99 in .300sav and experienced a newbie mistake of not checking the overpressure degradation that brass can experience. As you may expect, the case exploded right at the ring of death. Clean separation at the degraded line.