PDA

View Full Version : Brake installation Queston...

jt41time
02-02-2013, 01:55 PM
How do you make sure the brake lines up right when installing it on a barrel? Also, how do you make the shank taper diameter the same as the barrel diameter?

wbm
02-02-2013, 03:50 PM
If it is a brake that needs "timed" to align properly, then you have to machine the threads for it so that when the barrel is mounted and head spaced correctly and the brake is screwed on it is aligned. That's why I don't use those kinds of brakes...too much work. You need a lathe to taper the shank to the same diameter as the barrel.

jt41time
02-02-2013, 05:25 PM
If it is a brake that needs "timed" to align properly, then you have to machine the threads for it so that when the barrel is mounted and head spaced correctly and the brake is screwed on it is aligned. That's why I don't use those kinds of brakes...too much work. You need a lathe to taper the shank to the same diameter as the barrel.

What kind do you use?

Opus Dei
02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
How do you make sure the brake lines up right when installing it on a barrel?If not timed as mentioned above, crush washers are the other option.

jbjh
02-05-2013, 01:14 AM
If not timed as mentioned above, crush washers are the other option.

That's what I was about to say. Crush washers and some loctite. Just make sure everything is square and true.