PDA

View Full Version : barrel roundness

rinodods
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Anyone know how common it is for a barrel to be out of round? I ask because I picked up a shilen match select from Northlander (awesome to deal with) and took it in to have a muzzle break installed. I went to check on it today and the smith had it still chucked in the lathe. He switched it on to show me and that thing had wobbles like you wouldn't believe. Highs and lows all over the place. In fact the break was just over OD of the barrel and after it was installed one side would be even and the other over OD. Now he has to buff it down to match up. Should I be expecting a little better out of one of these barrels?

sinman
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I have seen a lot of mcgowens out of round and shilens. The best barrels I have seen for straightness is Brux, I have seen them at .0002" out of round in the first 4" which is about perfect.

dolomite_supafly
01-12-2010, 10:26 PM
I have seen as well as personally experienced heat related drift with barrels that are like you describe, off center bore. As the barrel heats the "thin" side expands differently than the "thick" side resulting in a heat related drift from the barrel "bendng" from the different rates of expansion. My 223 had the problem when new and I tensioned and turned the OD concentric to the bore to correct the problem. Mine wasn't anywhere near as bad as what you describe and I was getting over and inch of drift after the barrel got hot. Maybe with a heavy barrel it isn't as common.

Seems to me someone would have noticed it long before it made it out of the maker.

Dolomite

rinodods
01-13-2010, 12:26 AM
It is a varmint barrel so maybe it won't drift. I was worried that this issue might cause me issues later. I can't imagine shooting 300wm enough to heat it up much. Though if I get bored maybe I will line it up with the 223 and 260 to take out a few pdogs. I. Can take a few long shots when they present themselves. The barrel should be ready in the morning. Should get a chance to test next week.

1Shot
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
...I had a Savage LRPV bbl. that was a wobbler...I just cut her back till it was gone & put a nice radius relief on it..Shoots just fine...

rinodods
01-13-2010, 03:59 PM
I'd have it cut back but don't think I want to pay someone $50 an hour for lathe time. Already paid a fair amount. I just didn't expect such lax tolerance on the barrel. Though it may not be an issue at all.

desertdog
01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd have it cut back but don't think I want to pay someone $50 an hour for lathe time. Already paid a fair amount. I just didn't expect such lax tolerance on the barrel. Though it may not be an issue at all.
shoot it!!!!!!!!!!!

rinodods
01-15-2010, 05:47 AM
Well I'm getting close to shooting it. It's sitting at the house all ready to go. The smith did a very nice job. Just need some time off work to head out. I'm sure it will follow the 223 and 260rem out this weekend when I once again face the rabid pdogs. lol All I've got for a scope for it right now is the bushnell package scope that came with it. Though I feel a new Vortex PST coming on when they are available and if I just don't have the cash for that maybe a Millet LRS-1.

desertdog
01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
give a try and see what happens? good luck 8) dd