PDA

View Full Version : wsm bolt head question

placek59
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Hello All--
First post here but a longtime lurker. I have a question regarding being able to switch a savage 12 in 270 wsm to a 6br. I know it is a large shank and I need a new bolt head. My question is do they make a bolt head for the "standard" cartridges with the static ejector like the one on my rifle? I have not been able to find any. Would it be ok to just use the regular bolt head with the 'plunger' ejector set up? I have seen a few posts of folks wanting to go the other way (standard to wsm) but not wsm to standard. I will most likely get a single shot follower so mag feeding will be a non-issue as well.
I appreciate any and all info.
Thanks

trappst
01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you have an "older" controlled round feed WSM with a staggered feed mag box.

You should be able to swap out the bolt head pretty easy. The standing ejector comes out very easy. It's held in place by the trigger group cross pin.

Hopefully someone else can give you specific info on firing pin size and etc. I purchased a complete bolt from Midway for my WSM action. All I gotta do is swap bolts or bolt heads and I can shoot anything with a .378, .473 or WSM case head.

placek59
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
ok- I guess I didn't look at removing the ejector. It would be nice if I didn't have to but oh well. I do have a 110 .30/06 that I may use as a donor instead, I just wanted to use the short action, and its ss and is sooo much prettier. Anyway, does anyone out there have any experience with the .270 wsm or .270 in general. Are there any decent 'target bullets' available? I have been using 130g nosler btips and they shoot around .75 on avg. I have wanted to try some of the sierra 135mk but can't find any. I see that berger makes a vld hunting, but wasn't sure what the difference was between the vld match and hunting. Always just trying to wring out as much accuracy as possible.
Thanks

Smokepole
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
I shoot 135 SMKs and 140 SGKs out of a 270 win w typical results for a Savage factory barrel. About 3/4 MOA @ 100yds. But the groups don't open up much out to 200yds. I like HPs and boat tails.

Carvera
01-12-2010, 07:54 PM
You can buy the new Savage WSM bolthead, front baffle, and I believe a new firing pin to make the switch. You will have to remove the standing ejector like trappst said.