PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Bolt action on model 25

texasredneck
01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
I just got a model25 in the 17 hornet. does anyone know why when fired it is like a corn binder to recock? Also may i ask if anyone has had any cases stuck in the 17 hornet i have a friend that has one and in the 204 and both of his the case stuck after being fired? Thanks for any help.

EdKin
02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Mine isn't too bad on the bolt lift, but not as easy as the Model 12 or the 93. I have not had any stuck cases but I have not put but about 15-20 rounds through it.

snowgetter1
02-14-2013, 01:07 AM
I asked the same question when I got my 25 but in reference to dry firing it. Sharpshooter stated it is because without a case in it there is extra binding. Mine is a 222 and I just put a total of 60 rounds through it and it is slick and smooth when shooting it. It is still rough when dry firing.

texasredneck
02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
I asked the same question when I got my 25 but in reference to dry firing it. Sharpshooter stated it is because without a case in it there is extra binding. Mine is a 222 and I just put a total of 60 rounds through it and it is slick and smooth when shooting it. It is still rough when dry firing.

Mine is smoother now but was ruff even after shooting it .

texasredneck
02-14-2013, 06:45 PM
MIne is smoother now i shoot it several times and cleaned the bolt and reoiled it..

jeff miller
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
I cocks when you open the bolt instead of when you close it ,that's why it opens harder.

JEFF

texasredneck
02-17-2013, 11:33 PM
I cocks when you open the bolt instead of when you close it ,that's why it opens harder.

JEFF

i know it cocks on opening just as my remingtons and ruger plus my other savage and none as rough as this rifle ..

texasredneck
02-17-2013, 11:34 PM
I know that is does but my remingtons,ruger,and asavage don't bind like this rifle..

Cornerpost
02-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm having cases stick in my 25 17 Hornet. I tried giving the extractor spring a little stretch, but it made no difference. The 60 degree bolt throw is what makes it tough to open. I'm getting a CZ when they come in.

texasredneck
02-24-2013, 11:02 PM
I called savage about this problem and they said they wasn't aware of it.. We polished the throat and hadn't had anymore problem It's bad to have a new gun as beautiful as the model 25 and have problems with it..

Cornerpost
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Glad you got your's working. I'll try that trick on mine. I'm not thrilled about having to send a new gun back. I haven't called Savage, but I think they've got some wrinkles to iron out. I should've known, first model of anything is trouble.

texasredneck
02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Me too my father in law had the same problem with a 204 and his 17 hornet i the model 25 Savage said send it back but if it was right to start with you shouldn't have to send back.. He did the same to his and no more problems just be real easy on polishing the chamber it didn't take much..

Orange_Crush
03-01-2013, 08:53 AM
I shot my Model 25 in .17 hornet for the first time yesterday. Have to say I am a bit disappointed - I almost need a hydraulic jack to open the bolt after firing. And mine does not feed rounds from the magazine worth a darn. It jams almost every time and I end up basically feeding in the round carefully by hand. Using factory loads by the way. Initial accuracy was not that great either. I got 2" groups that tended to string horizontally. I had two other rifles with me that I was consistently shooting 1" or less groups with at 100 yards.

Puzzled and already thinking about trading it....

Orange_Crush
03-06-2013, 11:10 PM
I sent my Model 25 .17 hornet back to Savage today. Asked them to do something about the failure to feed rounds from the magazine and the difficulty in extracting/ejecting rounds.

Interestingly, earlier in the week I stopped in to see my local gunsmith and ask him if he was familiar with the model 25 and some of its problems - he laughed and picked up a bolt from model 25 in .17 Hornet with a broken extractor. The extractor broke while the owner was trying to eject a spent case.

Orange_Crush
04-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Well there certainly isn't a lot of action in the model 25 section :)

I wanted to report back - I just shot my model 25 in .17 hornet after sending it back for: poor accuracy, rounds not feeding, difficult bolt lift and extraction. Happy to report they fixed everything. So don't be bashful about sending yours in.

J.Baker
04-08-2013, 09:08 AM
I think the lack of posts is due mostly to the high price of the Model 25, and unless you want a .17 Hornet or .222 Remington you're better off getting an Axis or 110-based model.

gmj1
04-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I've been reading a lot of negative responses on this Model 25. I purchased mine in 17 Hornet the other day and had it out today and this firearm performed flawlessly. The action was silky smooth, feed the Five rounds perfectly, accuracy was bang dead-on. I'm looking forward to shooting Crows and Ground-pigs.

JLShipley
04-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Well there certainly isn't a lot of action in the model 25 section :)

I wanted to report back - I just shot my model 25 in .17 hornet after sending it back for: poor accuracy, rounds not feeding, difficult bolt lift and extraction. Happy to report they fixed everything. So don't be bashful about sending yours in.

Did they happen to say what they found? My new .17 has similar problem, hard to feed, if 4 in mag., also bolt won't open after firing...If I remove mag. (has happen 3 to 4 times,) it well open up....it seems to be getting better. Have shot about 75 rounds, getting Quarter group of three at 100 yards.
It's going to be a lot cheaper to reload, just powder alone. Awaiting Dies?
JS

Orange_Crush
04-15-2013, 05:20 PM
They didn't really say what they did except "polish burrs on bolt". But it's a decent rifle now. I hated it before. I do have dies. It is frustrating you can't play much with the bullet seating depth.